Posted by toney on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 9:11pm.
1. Which of the following is a characteristic of middle childhood?
A. Lack of identity
B. Formal operations
C. Gaining reading, writing, and mathematical skills
D. The development of sexual characteristics
2. If you require children in middle childhood to spend much time in quiet activities, they
A. would work off nervous energy more quickly.
B. would need frequent rest periods to restore energy.
C. may develop nervous habits such as fidgeting and nail-biting.
D. would be better students with greater cognitive development.
3. Cognition refers to
A. self-esteem. C. nonadaptive behavior.
B. intellectual activity. D. motor skills.
4. When a child understands that things and events continue to exist even though one can’t see or hear
them, we say that the child understands
A. object permanence. C. conservation.
B. intuitive thought. D. mathematical theory.
5. How do three- to six-month-old children usually communicate?
A. In one-word sentences C. By cooing
B. In word strings comprised of two words D. In three-or-more word sentences
6. Which of the following statements best defines dialects?
A. Dialects are the result of deficient language skills.
B. Only people in the lower classes use dialects.
C. Dialects are good predictors of cognitive skills.
D. Dialects are geographic variations in language patterns.
7. Extremely autonomous children
A. usually have strict discipline at home. C. suffer from self-doubt.
B. can’t be creative. D. may not follow rules easily.
8. According to Erikson, lack of identity is
A. typical in adolescence. C. a cause of behavioral problems in preschool.
B. an example of formal operations. D. a cognitive stage.
9. Social learning theories help us understand that
A. five-year-old children can’t do concrete operations.
B. modeling is an important way of learning.
C. peer relationships have no impact on self-concept.
D. aggressive behavior in boys is abnormal.
10. A teacher aide can use modeling to
A. encourage students to change behaviors. C. test for concrete operations.
B. measure physical growth. D. improve a student’s fine motor skills.
11. Which of the following factors helps a child develop a positive self-concept?
A. Family relationships C. Conflicts with teachers
B. Material wealth D. The sex of the child
12. Teachers can improve a student’s self-esteem by
A. being critical of their work. C. controlling the learning environment.
B. letting a student set his or her own goals. D. discouraging imagination.
13. Attempts at suicide are
A. a result of generativity. C. more common in girls.
B. common in middle childhood. D. a form of delinquency
14. Generally, males _______ than females.
A. have less peer interaction C. are less physically aggressive
B. are more resistant to sex role stereotyping D. begin adolescence later
15. Which of the following is the best statement about delinquency?
A. It’s encouraged among some social groups.
B. It’s caused by sexually transmitted disease.
C. It’s unrelated to the quality of family life.
D. It’s decreasing in America.
16. The pre-operational stage of development is characterized by
A. feelings of inferiority. C. abstract thinking.
B. limited attention span. D. the use of metaphors and satire in language.
17. Adolescence is associated with
A. formal operations. C. reversibility.
B. concrete operations. D. short attention span.
18. Syntax refers to
A. peer interaction and acceptance. C. the grammatical order of words.
B. a sexually transmitted disease. D. Freud’s psychosexual stages.
19. Hormones have a powerful effect on
A. emotional and social development. C. a student’s test scores.
B. intelligence and abstract reasoning. D. the development of writing and reasoning skills.
20. Which of the following statements best describes the preconceptual stage of pre-operational thinking?
A. It occurs between the ages of four and seven.
B. It’s characterized by egocentrism.
C. It helps children develop the idea of reversibility.
D. It has little effect on later stages of development.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- child development and human behavior - My Answers: 1. Which of the following is ...
- child development and human behavior - 1. Which of the following is a ...
- child development am i on right track - • Choose four of the emotional ...
- child development am i on right track - 2. Assignment: Reading and Writing ...
- AED - i Outlines what a teacher perceives as average skills for a child within ...
- AED 202 - Choose four of the emotional characteristics described on p. 375 of ...
- child development - Teachers collect written information about a child for the ...
- AED - Choose four of the emotional characteristics described on p. 375 of the ...
- AED 202 - Compose a 1,050- to 1,750-word explanation of the development process...
- Child Development - Compare the social and emotional development of children in ...