Posted by Sam<3 on Sunday, October 18, 2009 at 10:01am.
Write an equation in point-slope form of the line that passes through the given points:
1. (5,-6), (1,-7)
2. (6,-3), (-1,9)
3. write an equation of a line that is perpendicular to y=-3x+5 and passes through (4,3).
- Algebra (grade 9) - Reiny, Sunday, October 18, 2009 at 10:16am
for #1 and #2
first find the slope, that gives you the m.
Now pick one of the given points and sub those values into
y = mx + b
Solve for b and rewrite the equation.
I am sure that your teacher and/or your textbook has given you several examples of this type of fundamental question.
The line perpedicular to the given line must have slope of 1/3
so new equation:
y = (1/3)x + b
sub in (4,3)
3 = (1/3)(4) + b
I usually get rid of my fractions by multiplying by whatever the denominator is
9 = 4 + 3b
b = 5/3
final equation : y = (1/3)x + 5/3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Algebra - 1.Tell whether the sequence is arithmetic. If it is, what is the ...
- Algebra - 1.Write an equation in slope- intercept form of the line that passes ...
- Algebra II - Can you make sure my Algebra II work is correct? I've done the ...
- algebra - write an equation in slope-intercept form of the line that passes ...
- algebra - Write an equation in slope-intercept form of the line that passes ...
- Algebra 2 - Evaluate the function when x=1. f(x)=4x-2. Write the input and ...
- algebra (check plz) - write an equation in slope-intercept form of the line that...
- Math please. - What is the y-intercept of y = 2/3x + 2? I have to write it out ...