Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, October 17, 2009 at 10:18am.
The floor of a rectangular room is to be tiled with 1/3 (fraction) foot square tiles along a 10 5/8 (fraction) foot wall. How many tiles will be needed along the wall?
Would I multiply 10 5/8 times 1/3 to get the answer?
Math - jim, Saturday, October 17, 2009 at 10:43am
Let's estimate the problem first.
Handy to check our thinking.
There are 3 tiles per foot, right?
And there are a bit over 10 feet to tile, at 3 tiles per foot, so our answer is going to be near 30 tiles.
If you multiplied 1/3 by 10, you'd get about 3 as an answer, so something is going wrong with that.
Suppose it was a 9-foot wall, and you were using 3-foot tiles. How many 3-foot tiles would you need to cover 9 feet?
You need to divide the space into the width of the tile.
This shows that you don't want to multiply; you need to divide. And dividing by 1/3 is the same as multiplying by 3. Let's look at that:
10 5/8 = 85/8
(85/8) * 3 = 255/8 = 31 7/8
A possible little catch here is: can you order 7/8 of a tile? In a real life situation, you'd buy 32, and just throw away the last piece.
Math - Anonymous, Saturday, October 17, 2009 at 11:05am
That is the part I was missing. Forgetting you can multiply be three instead of divide by 1/3. You certainly make problems make sense, thank you for your help.
Math - jim, Saturday, October 17, 2009 at 11:20am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH HELP PLEASE - The floor of a rectangular room is to be tiled with 1/3 foot ...
- math - a class wanted to cover part of their wall with beatiful tiles, the tiles...
- Algebra - The floor of a rectangular room will be tiled with square tiles that ...
- Algebra(please help ASAP!) - The floor of a rectangular room will be tiled with ...
- math - given an 8 foot by 10 foot wall how many 6 inch square tiles would be ...
- geometry - A carpenter has been hired to cover a 12-foot by 14-foot kitchen with...
- math - If a room has a perimeter of 32feet how many square floor tiles with ...
- geometry - a 16 by 18 foot rectangular section will be covered by square tiles ...
- Math - your management company was hired to take over the maintenance of the ...
- Math - How many 5 foot tiles are needed to completely cover a 40 foot square ...