Posted by y912f on Friday, October 16, 2009 at 3:28pm.
1. The dialects of the Angles and the Saxons (is, ARE) ancestors of Modern English.
2. The Indians (LIVE, lives) on reservations.
3. I (LIKE, likes) playing such sports as basketball, football, and baseball.
4. The rules in the textbook (is, ARE) guidelines for using standard English.
5. Mastery of English rules (lead, LEADS) to improvement in speaking and writing.
6. Correct spelling, in addition to correct grammar, (IS, are) an essential in writing skills.
7. People in the business world (LOOK, looks) carefully at application letters and resumes.
8. Each of the runners (try, TRIES) to outdo the other.
9. Cakes and cookies (BAKE, bakes) in the oven.
10. The books on the shelf(NEED, needs) dusting.
- Grammar and Composition - y912f, Friday, October 16, 2009 at 3:32pm
11. Both Dr. and Mrs. Shaffer (AGREE, agrees) to be chaperones for the spring formal.
12. She (HAS, have) been washing the clothes.
13. Several students (was, WERE) studying for their final test.
14. The poster near the entrance doors (give, GIVES) the directions to the offices inside.
15. Joe and Jon (COLLECT, collects) baseball cards for a hobby.
16. Mrs. Marcus and Mr. Taylor (was, WERE) working on a project together.
17. The audience (APPLAUD, applauds) as the magician makes the jet disappear.
18. Neither Marcy or Kristy (want, WANTS) to go to the detention center.
19. Grizzly bears (was, WERE) the topic of last week's Boy Scout meeting.
20. The coach and the baseball players (DISCUSS, discusses) the strategy for winning the game.
- Grammar and Composition - y912f, Friday, October 16, 2009 at 3:34pm
21. I want to visit the West coast and (seeing, SEE) all the sites.
22. Nicole likes to play the piano, to march in the band, and (TO SING, sing, singing) in the chorus.
23. It is important to work quickly and (accurate, ACCURATELY)
24. Mr.Miller was recognized for being an outstanding citizen, being a community leader, and (BEING, to be) an active leader.
25. An essay by an honor student (HAD, have) been written for the contest.
- Grammar and Composition - Ms. Sue, Friday, October 16, 2009 at 4:38pm
I disagree with 17.
The rest are right!
- Grammar and Composition - y912f, Friday, October 16, 2009 at 4:43pm
so did i. but here's what my book says:
'collective nouns can be either singular or plural. if they refer to a group as a unit, they are singular. if they refer to the individuals within the group, they are plural.
ex. the audience applauds the speaker. (singular)
the audience gives their attention to the speaker.
- Grammar and Composition - Ms. Sue, Friday, October 16, 2009 at 4:46pm
This one is a matter of perception. You may see individual audience members applauding. I see the audience as whole applauding because I can't hear any indivuals clapping their hands.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Of one hundred students surveyed: 70 like basketball, 52 like football...
- HELP--math - Of one hundred students surveyed: 70 like basketball, 52 like ...
- math - danielle plays softball and basketball. however because she like ...
- English composition - Title: Video Games Topic announcement: Sports video game ...
- math - 1/2 of students like baseball 1/8 like basketball 1/3 likes football, so ...
- English - 1. She likes playing with her dog. 2. She likes playing with a puppy. ...
- English - Can someone help me and write the answers to these tasks (especially ...
- Unions and Intersections of Sets (Algebra) - Part 1: Answer the following ...
- Math - Part 1: Answer the following question: In a survey of students about ...
- Algebra - Part 1: Answer the following question: In a survey of students about ...