Posted by Kaz on Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 2:42am.
9t^4 + 6t^2 + 2
the problem is asking for the value of t at which the graph is at it's minimum.
what i did was set t^4 to x^2 and t^2 to x. So that means I have 9x^2 + 6x + 2.
Completing the square and the vertex formula gave me the same answer of -1/3 as x. So setting that equal to t^2 and solving gives me a no solution answer. The same thing happens when I try to solve it using the quad formula. 36-72 shows up in the radical, which is negative.
So I'm at a loss, my answer comes out to be undefined.
But the answer to the problem (as stated in the back of the book) is x=0. Also when I put it in a graphing calculator the minimum is indeed 2 at t=0.
As far as I know, undefined is not the same as 0. I must be doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
- Math (Pre-Calculus) - MathMate, Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 7:20am
If it is precalculus, you're not expected to use derivatives, which incidentally will give you x=0 as the answer.
I do not know if you teacher has shown you a systematic method to calculate the minimum for a quartic. In this particular situation, we can find the answer rapidly by taking advantage of the way the function is made up.
f(x) = 9x⁴ + 6x² + 2
is made up of three terms, two of which are non-negative. So the minimum is 2 when both of the non-negative terms vanish. It is obvious that 9x⁴ and 6x² vanish at x=0. The vertex is therefore (0,2).
I also note that f(x) can be composed by goh(x) where g(x)=9x²+6x+2 and h(x)=x². Not that this property will help us find the vertex without the use of calculus, as far as I know.
Also, I have not come across a method to find the vertex for a general quartic without the use of calculus. If anyone would share the answer, it would be appreciated.
- Math (Pre-Calculus) -corr. - MathMate, Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 7:24am
last paragraph: `"the vertices for a general quartic ".
Also, I have not mentioned that graphing by tabulation almost always works for finding extrema of polynomials, although a good judgment goes a long way.
Answer this Question
- Pre-calculus - Find the minimum value of f(x, y) = y – x + 1 for the polygonal ...
- Math - The question is: Fr what value(s) of k will the function f(x)=(kx^2)-4x+k...
- Pre-calculus - Find the value for c for which the system is consistent and ...
- Pre-calculus - Name all the values of x that are not in the domain of f(x)=2-x^2...
- Pre-Calculus - Determine a quadratic function in vertex form given each set of ...
- Pre-Calculus-check answers - Name all the values of x that are not in the domain...
- Pre-calculus-check answers - Name all the values of x that are not in the domain...
- pre-calculus - Let f(x)=x^2+bx+27. Find the value(s) of b so that f(x) has ...
- Pre-Calculus - Hello! I'm stuck on how to do this problem and would appreciate ...
- Pre-Calculus - Solve the inequality -2 <3x -5 < 7. Graph the solution set.