Posted by john on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 at 7:53pm.
My math teacher wants us to prove that all of our answers are correct.
But how am I supposed to be able to prove stuff, like this, for example.
The directions want you to write out the words in to an equation.
Seven is the sum of X and 5.
so my answer is 7= x +5
How would I prove my answer?
- math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, October 13, 2009 at 7:55pm
Doesn't x = 2? Substitute 2 for x.
Doesn't 7 + 2 = 7?
- math - john, Tuesday, October 13, 2009 at 7:57pm
We're not supposed to figure out what the variable is.
The direction for the question was to write out the sentence in an equation
- math - jim, Tuesday, October 13, 2009 at 7:57pm
The question wants you to figure out what number replaces X.
7 = x + 5
7 = ? + 5.
What number replaces x, or the question-mark? You're going to write:
x = (some digit, which is your answer)
Proving is easy. Just write
7 = x + 5 down again, but this time replacing x with your answer.
- math - jim, Tuesday, October 13, 2009 at 8:01pm
If it's any comfort, I have no idea how writing sentences embodying equations could be proven, either.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry - Can you just help me with this thanks Directions: Tell which property...
- Science - Proof of Propositional Logics - I am being asked if I can prove P, L, ...
- math - I need to prove my answer is correct, the directions say to simplify the ...
- Very easy math - my teacher told me that the inverse of addition was subtraction...
- RESEARCH REPORT - HI I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I CAN POSSIBLY PROVE ABOUT EITHER...
- Math - if f(x) = 2x^2+4 and g(x)=x-3 which number satisfies f(x)= (f o g)(x) A) ...
- history - I'm supposed to prove that if america stopped getting involved in the ...
- math - Use the Generalized PMI to prove: 2^n > n^2, for all n > 4 First of...
- math - Let f:A->B, where A and B are nonempty, and let T1 and T2 be subsets ...
- College Math : Linear Algebra - Suppose A is a square matrix satisfying the ...