Posted by Amy on Monday, October 12, 2009 at 10:08pm.
The question is:
What would happen if you tested bleach with a pH indicator and why?
I know that it would turn out with a pH of approx. 12, but I have no idea why.
- Science - DrBob222, Monday, October 12, 2009 at 10:12pm
I suspect if you tested bleach with pH indicator that it would be bleached. It will bleach litmus paper but I've not tried it on liquid indicator.
- Science - Amy, Monday, October 12, 2009 at 10:23pm
What I mean by 'why' is why is it a base? What in it's chemical formula is the reason for its pH levels?
Is that more clear?
- Science - DrBob222, Monday, October 12, 2009 at 10:42pm
There are all kinds of bleaches. Many of the chlorine bleaches contain NaOCl as the active ingredient. NaOCl hyrolyzes in water solution as
OCl^- + HOH ==> HOCl + OH^-
So the pH is basic because this reaction releases OH ions.
- Science - DrBob222, Monday, October 12, 2009 at 11:02pm
A second reason, and perhaps more important than the first, is that Cl2 gas is passed through NaOH to make the NaOCl. Here is a site where you can read more about it.
- Science - Jamie, Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 9:39pm
If you tested bleach with an indicator, it would be a BASE with a high pH, because it is a very strong cleaning product.
- Science - Ant, Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 1:47am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - When sulphur dioxide is dissolved in water and a drop of Universal ...
- Science - Which is a better bacteria killer? Bleach or hand sanitizer which ...
- Language Arts - What fact does the author use to support her opinion about ...
- science - There are many tooth whitening products on the market from what I've ...
- Chemistry - The indicator bromocresol green (HIn) can be in two different forms...
- Chemistry - Sorry, I have been stuck on this question. I would appreciate if ...
- Science - What would happen to an electric motor if the direction of the ...
- Biology - In which case would a widely accepted scientific idea MOST likely be ...
- Science - when you turn up the thermostat on your furnace several things happen...
- Please.. - what would happen to the respiratory system if it didn't have the ...