Posted by Sara on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 11:02pm.
Determine the percent yeild of:
KCl3(s)--> KCl(s)+ O2(g)
2.14g of KCl3 produces 0.67 of O2
I get 123% when the correct answer is 80%
KCl3: mm = 122.45, n =0.017
Theoretical yield: .017mol * 32g/mol
Pecent Yield: 0.67g/ 0.544g *100% = 123%
- Chem - DrBob222, Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 11:15pm
Thanks for showing your work. It helped me spot the error right off. You didn't balance the equation. Also note that I corrected the formula for KClO3 but you have the right moles so you must have used the correct molar mass.
2KClO3 ==> 2KCl + 3O2
moles KClO3 = 2.14/122.5 = 0.0175
moles oxygen = 0.0175 x (3 moles O2/2 moles KClO3) = 0.0175 x (3/2) = 0.0262.
grams O2 = moles O2 x molar mass = 0.0262 x 32 = 0.838 g O2 for theoretical yield.
Use that number with 0.67 and see if it's ok. I get 79.9% which rounds to 80% to two significant figures (which is all we are allowed with the 0.67).
- Chem - MathMate, Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 11:18pm
First, start with a balanced equation
2KClO3(s)--> 2KCl(s)+ 3O2(g)
2KClO3: mm=2(39+35.5+16*3)= 245
3O2: mm = 3(2*16) = 96
- Chem-corr. - MathMate, Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 11:20pm
80.% (to two significant figures)
Answer this Question
- Chemistry - Calculate the percent yield of iron if 950 g of Fe3O4 underwent the ...
- Chem - How are these values used to determine percent? actual yield is quantity ...
- chem 11 - if we mix 25 g of sodium bromide with a large amount of potassium ...
- Chemistry - I have this question and I am pretty sure on what to use to solve it...
- chem - The burning of 18.0 g of carbon produces 55.0 g of carbon dioxide. What ...
- More Chemistry (yeah im bad at math...) - In the Reaction CO+2H²-->CH³OH, 1....
- math - how do you calculate theoretical yield of something? I don't know where ...
- Chemistry Pretest - Fe can be prepared as 2 Al + Fe2O3 ----> 2 Fe + Al2O3. ...
- Chemistry - Determine the theoretical and percent yield of hydrogen gas if 80.5 ...
- Chemistry - The combustion of liquid ethanol (C2H5OH) produces carbon dioxide ...