Posted by Sara on Tuesday, October 6, 2009 at 11:52pm.
two hydrates were weighed, heated to drive off waters of hydration, and then cooled. The residues were then rewieghed. Based on the follwing results, what are the formulas of the gydrates?
Compound. Initial mass. M after cooling
NiSO4*xH2O 2.08 1.22
CoCl*xH2O 1.62 .88
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 12:13am
#1. mass water evolved = 2.08-1.22 = 0.86 grams.
mass anhydrous NiSO4 = 1.22 grams
moles H2O = 0.86/18 =0.0478
moles NiSO4 = 1.22/154.76 = 0.00788.
Divide by the smaller to find the ratio to 1 mole NiSO4.
0.00788/0.00788 = 1 NiSO4
0.0478/0.00788 = 6.06
round these to 1 NiSO4 to 6 H2O and the formula is
Check my work.
The Co one is done the same way. Check to make sure that Co formula isn't CoCl2.xH2O.
- Chemistry - Sara, Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 12:13am
Sorry that might be a little unlclear..I hope this helps
Initial mass: 2.08
Mass after cooling: 1.22
Initial mass: 1.62
Mass after cooling: .88
- Chemistry - Sara, Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 12:20am
I understand now...THANK YOU!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- CHEMISTRY - When 6.724 g of one of the hydrates of sodium sulfate (Na2SO4) was ...
- Chemistry - I know how to find a and b on this problem but how do I find c? ...
- Chemistry - An empty crucible was heated to drive off any volatile impurities ...
- Chemistry - What is the expected mass of anhydrous salt formed after the waters ...
- chemistry - A crystalline material containing 30 grams of barium chloride ...
- Chemistry - If 1.50 g of H2C2O4 2H2O were heated to drive off the water of ...
- chemistry - A 5.000 g sample of a mixture which contains MgCO3 and sand (SiO2) ...
- chemistry - If a 8.6195 g of a mixture which contains (20.0 % of CuSO4.XH2O and ...
- CHEMistry - A mixture of two compounds, A and B, was separated by extraction. ...
- Chemistry - Consider a mixture of the two solids BaCl2.2H2O (FM 244.26) and KCl...