Posted by Michelle on Tuesday, October 6, 2009 at 11:44pm.
How long will it take a bus traveling at 60 miles per hour to overtake a car traveling at 40 mph if the car had a 1.5 hour head start?
- math - DrBob222, Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 12:04am
distance = rate x time
Let t = time bus travels
then t+1.5 hours = time car travels
60t = distance traveled by bus.
40(t+1.5) = distance traveled by car.
distance traveled by bus = distance by car.
60t = 40(t+1.5)
solve for time, then use
d = rt to determine the distance.
- math - Reiny, Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 12:06am
let the time it takes for the bus to catch up to the car be t hours
So the bus went 60t miles
but meantime, the car went for t+1.5 hours at 40 mph for a distance of 40(t+1.5
But when the bus catches up to the car, haven't both gone the same distance ??
60t = 40(t+1.5)
60t = 40t + 60
20t = 60
t = 3
so it will take 3 hours
check: in 3 hours the bus went 3(6) = 180 miles
the car went for 4.5 hrs at 40 = 180 miles
Checks out !!!
- math - Anonymous, Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 12:07pm
A kayak was reduced from $750 to $600, what percentage was it reduced?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - distance = rate x time or d = r*t car traveling 40 mi/hr goes 40 mi/hr x ...
- algebra - How long will it take a car traveling at 60 mph to overtake a bus ...
- Algebra - How long will it take for a car that is traveling at 60 mph to ...
- math - how long will it take a bus travelling at 60 miles per hour to overtake a...
- math - a car traveling 64 miles per hour passes a bus traveling 53 mph in the ...
- Math - How long will it take a car traveling 65 mph to pass a car traveling 45 ...
- Help!...Math... - Two cars leave town going opposite directions. One car is ...
- Algebra - Two cars are traveling at 40 and 50 miles per hour, respectively. If ...
- word problem!!! algebra - at noon, a cargo van crosses an intersection at 30 mph...
- Algebra! Help needed! - I'm having a little trouble with this problem... Please ...