Posted by Chrissy on Monday, October 5, 2009 at 12:33am.
Determine whether you can use the Law of Syllogism to reach a valid conclusion from each set of statements.
1. If a dog eats Superdog Dog Food, he will be happy.
Rover is happy.
2. If an angle is supplementary to an obtuse angle, then it is acute.
If an angle is acute, then its measurement is less than 90.
3. If the measure of angle A is less than 90, then angle A is acute.
If angle A is acute, then angle A is congruent to angle B.
- Help with deductive reasoning - jim, Monday, October 5, 2009 at 5:05am
Let's take the first one.
You can make a syllogism if you have two statements like:
(1) If A, then B _and_
(2) Rover is A
(3)_then_ you can say that Rover is B
(1) If a dog eats Superdog Dog Food, he will be happy.
(2) Rover is happy.
What is "A" here? it's "eats Superdog Dog Food". Does (2) say anything about "eats Superdog Dog Food"? No. So you don't have a syllogism. Rover might or might not eat Superdog Dog Food; we don't know.
So there is no syllogism here.
Now try the other two.
- Help with deductive reasoning - Anonymous, Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 2:02pm
If an angle is a right angle, then the measure of the angle is 90. If two lines are perpendicular, then they form a right angle.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- GEOMETRY - DETERMINE WHICH IF ANY,OF THE THREE STATEMENTS ARE EQUIVALENT. GIVE A...
- English - 1. A poll of five thousand people has indicated that 57 percent of the...
- geometry - Determine which if any of the three statements are equivalent, give a...
- math - a dog eats 3/4 of dog food for each meal. if he has 7 2/4lbs of food. how...
- 9th grade Deductive Reasoning Math - Given: Angle A and Angle C are ...
- Math - 16. Alison uses a total of 94.5 cups of dog food each week to feed her ...
- math - Determine if the argument is valid or invalid. Give a reason to justify ...
- college mathematics - 8. Determine which, if any, of the three statements are ...
- math - Steve runs a kennel and purchases dog food from a U.S supplier. The ...
- Math - 16 dogs share a bowl of food. Each dog eats half a cup. Write & solve a ...