Posted by Elisa on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 5:38am.
Write the equation in standard form for the line that passes through (6, -1) and (10,-*)
So far I have -8-1 is -9 and 10-6 is 4, is the -9 correct?
Then y plus 10 equals 9/4(x - 8)
Then multiply by 2 so 2y plus 20 equals 18/4x - 146/4
Is this correct so far?
- Algebra 1 - Reiny, Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 8:21am
I replied to one of your previous questions which is almost identical to this one, but apparently you did not look at it.
first of all, you have an error in your calculation of slope.
slope = (-8 - (-1))/(10 - 6)
then, using (10,-8)
y - (-8) = (-7/4)(x-10)
y + 8 = (-7/4)(x-10)
multiply both sides by 4 to get rid of fractions...
4y + 32 = -7(x-10)
4y + 32 = -7x + 70
7x + 4y = 38
I usually check using the point NOT used to find the equation, the (6,-1)
Left Side = 7(6) + 4(-1)
= 42 - 4
= Right Side !
You are making errors in subtracting integers.
- Algebra 1 - Elisa, Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 8:36am
yes, I did see the reply earlier. However, I'm still having trouble figuring out how to do the work.
thanks for your help.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - 1.Tell whether the sequence is arithmetic. If it is, what is the ...
- Algebra one, help me please? - Okay so, I have to write an equation in standard ...
- Algebra II - Can you make sure my Algebra II work is correct? I've done the ...
- algebra (check plz) - write an equation in slope-intercept form of the line that...
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- algebra - Write the equation of the line that passes through point (5, 4) with a...
- Algebra - Choose 1 set of points from the choices below. Then, solve the problem...
- algebra 1 - Write an equation in standard form of the line that passes through ...
- Algebra (grade 9) - Write an equation in point-slope form of the line that ...