Posted by BRENDAN on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 12:53am.
Please show the quickest way to do this question?
Amanda has 20 coins in her purse. She has only 10c,20c and 50c coins, and their total value is $5. If she has more 50c than 10c coins, how many 10c has she?
- MATHS - Dean, Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 12:59am
Are you in algebra using variables 'c'?
- MATHS - BRENDAN, Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 1:13am
I'm not sure what you mean.
- MATHS - Dean, Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 1:15am
What grade are you in?
- MATHS - BRENDAN, Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 1:18am
- MATHS - Dean, Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 1:21am
c stands for cents?
- MATHS - BRENDAN, Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 1:27am
yes c stands for cents.
- MATHS - Dr Russ, Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 4:16am
I got 4 x 50c = $2
2 x 10c = 20 c
14 x 20c = $2.80c
so she has 2 x 10c
- MATHS - Reiny, Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 8:57am
Since you are in year 4, you will be able to solve this algebraically.
let the number of 10c pieces be x
let the number of 20c pieces be y
let the number of 50c pieces be (20-x-y)
10x + 20y + 50(20-x-y) = 500
4x + 3y = 50
so we need positive integer solutions for x and y
clearly x has to be between 0 and 13
after only two tries, I got
x = 2, and y = 14
number of 10c pieces = 2
number of 20c pieces = 14
number of 50c pieces = 20-2-14 = 4
check: 2x10 + 14x20 + 4x50 = 500
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- MATHS - Could you please explain the quickest way to calculate these questions? ...
- maths - Andrew has 7 20c coins and 5 50c coins in his piggy bank. What is the ...
- Math - A change purse contains an equal number of pennies, nickels, and dimes. ...
- maths - A bag contained a number of 20cents, 50cents and $1 coins. 1/3 of the ...
- MATHS - 24 1c coins are set out in a row on a table Then every 2nd coin is ...
- MATH - 24 1c coins are set out in a row on a table. Then every 2nd coin is ...
- math - a lady has only 20 paisa coins and 25 paisa coins in her purse if she has...
- algebra - a purse contains 26 coins, some of which are dimes and the rest are ...
- Math word problem - George has 21 coins with a total value of $12.75. He knows ...
- math - jeremy has 19 coins of 2 different values. the total value of coins is 1...