Posted by izzy on Monday, September 28, 2009 at 7:02pm.
Write the balanced chemical equation for each reaction:
start with the net ionic equations.
12 chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, September 28, 2009 at 7:26pm
Do you mean K2MnO4 or KMnO4? If K2MnO4 then Mn is +6. If KMnO4 then Mn is +7.
In acid solution, Mn goes to +2 (Mn^+2), in basic solution to MnO2. S in HSO3^- goes to +6 (SO4^-2) in acid or basic solution.
12 chemistry - izzy, Monday, September 28, 2009 at 7:28pm
yeah sorry it was KMnO4
12 chemistry - izzy, Monday, September 28, 2009 at 7:30pm
i just still have no idea what the full equation would look like...
12 chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, September 28, 2009 at 7:59pm
You do the half equations.
MnO4^- ==> Mn^+2
HSO3^- ==> SO4^-2
For example, the permanganate half equation is
5e +MnO4^- + 8H^+ ==> Mn^+2 + 4H2O
Do the HSO3^-, multiply by a number to make the electrons equal, then add the two equations. This gives you the ionic equation for that reaction. Then add K^+ and Na^+ as needed for the positive charges and add SO4^-2 (from H2SO4) to balance those charges.
12 chemistry - izzy, Monday, September 28, 2009 at 8:19pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - 1.)KMnO4+H2SO4+NaHSO3--> 2.)KMnO4+NaOH+NaHSO3--> 3.)KMnO4+...
- chemistry - Q: I just did an online chemisty lab for Oxidation States of ...
- chemistry - Testtube B: Has a solution of KMnO4 + NaOH+ NaHSO3----> K2MnO4 (...
- AP Chemistry - Write the balanced molecular, complete ionic, and net ionic ...
- Chemistry Pleasee Help - Can you please help me with these problems, I followed ...
- chemistry - What mass of sodium hydroxide pellets must be poured into a waste ...
- college chem - Two questions where I have to write a balanced net ionic equation...
- General Chemistry - When a solution of nickel (II) chloride is mixed with a ...
- Chemistry - For the chemical reaction, sodium hydroxide + copper (II) chloride...
- Burnett - Write balanced molecular and net ionic equations for the reaction of ...