Posted by newt on Monday, September 28, 2009 at 10:56am.
A commercial freight carrier is flying at a constant speed of 400 mi/h
and is traveling 4 miles east for every 3 miles north. A private plane is
observed to be 210 miles east of the commercial carrier, traveling 12
miles north for every 5 miles west.
a. If it is known that the two planes are on a collision course, how fast
is the private plane flying?
b. When will the collision take place if it is not averted?
Algebra 2 - Reiny, Monday, September 28, 2009 at 1:01pm
I placed the carrier on the origin so that plane flies along the line y = (3/4)x
When the carrier is at the origin, the private plane is at (210,0) and flies along a line with slope -12/5
Since I know the slope and a point, I found the line of travel for the private plane to be
y = (-12/5)x + 504
The collision occurs at the intersection of these two lines, which I found by solving to be (160,120)
From that Point to the origin is
√(160^2 + 120^2) = 200
Since the carrier was flying at 400 mph, the collision occurred at t = 200/400 hours = 1/2 hour.
The distance from (160,120) to (210,0)
= √[(210-160)^2 + 120^2]
Since the distance = 130 miles and the time = 1/2 hours,
v = distance/time = 130/(1/2) = 260
The small plane went at 260 mph
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra 2 - A commercial freight carrier is flying at a constant speed of 400mi/...
- Math - A boat travels 74 miles on a course with direction 34 degrees and then ...
- Algebra 2 - 1. Plane A is 40 mi south and 100 mi east of Plane B. Plane A is ...
- Please Anyone!!! - Plane A is 40 mi south and 100 mi east of Plane B. Plane A is...
- Math - Plane A is 40 mi south and 100 mi east of Plane B. Plane A is flying 2 ...
- Story Problem - Ann drove 8 miles east, 4 miles south, 3 miles east, 6 miles ...
- math - A helicopter is 400 miles directly north of Ghana and is flying at 20 ...
- math - a bird flies due north 2 miles then east 3 miles then north 4 miles then ...
- math - joe walked 4 miles north, 9 miles east then 8 miles north and 7 miles ...
- algebra - Jim is a paratrooper who has to land on a moving aircraft carrier. If ...