Posted by brooke on Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 8:35pm.
can you please evaluate these expressions if x=5 y=3.5 and w= -3
- Math, not "11th grade" - Writeacher, Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 8:39pm
Please type your subject in the School Subject box. Any other words are likely to delay responses from a teacher who knows that subject well.
- 11th grade - Christiaan, Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 8:47pm
The | | signs mean "absolute value". When you take the absolute value of a number, you always take the numbers positive value. So |-5| = 5, |-21| = 21, |24| = 24, |5| = 5, and so on.
So, for the first expression, if we replace the x with 5, we get that:
|2*x-15| = |(2*5)-15| = |10-15| = |-5| = 5
There seems to be an error in your second expression, because there can't be any equals signs inside the || signs.
For the third expression we get that:
|-3-5| - |(10*3.5)-(-3)| =
|-8| - | 35 + 3| =
8 - 38 = -30
Answer this Question
- 11th grade - The students of litchfield High school are in grades 9,10,11,12. Of...
- math 11th grade - evaluate each function. g(x)=|x-2|+3;find g(0)
- math help - 5x+10y +15z-15x+10y-5z+5x-10y-5z / (5x+10y+15z)-(15x+10y-5z)+(5x-10y...
- Algebra 2 - "My husband's age," remarked a lady the other day, "is represented ...
- PLEASE HELP - Simplify the following algebraic expressions: Evaluate; P(-1/2) if...
- Math:Evaluate Expressions - e/3-2x3 for e=41.4 Please explain. Thank you!
- algebra - How do I solve this with the elimination method? 5x-10y=4 5x-10y=5 I ...
- maths - decide whether the graphs of the two equations are parallel lines: 1. 2x...
- math - there are half as many 11th grade students in the band the are 9th grade ...
- Science - In an ionic compound, what is the net ionic charge? and what compound ...