Posted by kim on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at 7:05pm.
find an equation of the line that passes through the points
- pre calculus - DrBob222, Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at 7:37pm
The first one is
slope = y1-y2/x1-x2
slope = m = (0-5/0+1 = -5
y = mx + b
Then put in one of the points to calculate b.
5 = -5(-1) + b
5 = 5 + b
b = 0
So the line is
y= mx + b
y = -5x + 0 or y = -5x.
The other one is don the same way.
Check my work very carefully.
- pre calculus - kim, Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at 7:43pm
is the other problem is
- pre calculus - jim, Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at 7:43pm
The first pair is very very easy.
Remember that a line that passes through the origin must be of the form:
y = mx
since the intercept is zero. You are told that this line passes through the origin and that the point (-1, 5) satisfies the equation. You should be able to write the answerdown from there.
There are a couple of ways to do the second one. he two-point formula is
(y - y1) / (x - x1) = (y2 - y1) / (x2 -x1)
(y - 1) / (x - 2) = (-3 - 1) / (0 - 2)
(y - 1) / (x - 2) = 2
multiply across by x - 2
y -1 = 2x - 4
and you should be close enough to finish from there.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math 101 - Find the equation for each of the following items below: a. A line ...
- Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry - Help please Which of the following is the equation ...
- mat 101 - Equation for a line that passes through (6,26) and has a slope of 3 ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- pre calculus - write the slope-intercept form of an equation for a line that ...
- Math please. - What is the y-intercept of y = 2/3x + 2? I have to write it out ...
- Math - What is the y-intercept of y = 2/3x + 2? I have to write it out but how? ...
- Mathamatics - This question concerns the straight line that passes through the ...
- Math - This question concerns the straight line that passes through the points...
- pre-calculus - How do you write the standard form of the equation of the line ...