Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 9:10pm.
A parachustist jumps from an airplane and freely falls y=51.8 m before opening his parachute. Thereafter, he decelerates at a=1.86 m/s^2. As he reaches the ground, his speed is 3.04 m/s.
a)How long was the parachutist in the air?
b)At what height did the parachutist jump from his plane?
physics - HELP - MathMate, Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 9:38pm
There are two parts to the motion:
1. free fall over a distance of 51.8 m.
initial velocity, u=0 m/s
final velocity, v to be determined.
We ignore air resistance for this part.
acceleration due to gravity, a = -g = -9.8 m/s/s
Using the formula
v²-u² = 2aS
v can be determined.
(see answer to next question if necessary).
Time t1 = (v-u)/a
2. Parachute open (in infinitesimal time).
initial velocity, v (determined from part 1) m/s
final velocity,w = 3.04 m/s
acceleration, a = -1.86 m/s/s
Time, t2 = (w-v)/a
The distance descended when parachute is open can be determined also by:
w²-v² = 2aS
Total time = t1+t2
Add up distance for parts 1 and 2 will give the total distance.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A parachustist jumps from an airplane and freely falls y=51.8 m before...
- physics - A parachutist bails out and freely falls 59 m. Then the parachute ...
- Physics - A parachutist bails out and freely falls 59.7 m. Then the parachute ...
- Physics - I want to know the reasoning behind each answer as well cause I have ...
- Physics - A parachutist bails out and freely falls 64.7 m. Then the parachute ...
- Physics - A parachutist bails out of airplane and suddenly parachute did not ...
- Physics - Energy - An airplane is flying with a speed of 250km/h at a height of ...
- science - A parachutist bails out and freely falls 50m. Then the parachute opens...
- physics - a sky diver jumps out of a plane that is 3000m above ground with an ...
- math - When a skydiver jumps from an airplane, the distance d in feet the diver ...