Posted by anthony on Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 2:02pm.
what is the latin abbbreviations for speak at will, and the rest, against, afterthought, and others, take this, and which see?
what is the meaning of the latin words ad lib, vs, cf, and q.v.
- latin - jim, Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 2:13pm
ad lib. is short for ad libitum meaning at will (more or less)
et alia, shortened to et al. (et = and, alia = others)
versus (against) gets cut to vs. (why is abbreviation such a long word? :-)
Quod (which) vide (see) gets shortened to q.v.
cf., short for confer, means compare
et (and) cetera (others) is commonly shortened to etc.
I suspect that whoever thought this up intended afterthought as the clue for P. S. Post Scriptum which actually means written after rather than thought after
- latin - SraJMcGin, Saturday, September 19, 2009 at 2:14pm
1. Ad libitum is Latin for "at [one's] pleasure"; often shortened to "ad lib"
2. From Latin versus (“‘against, turned’”), past participle of vertere
3. cf., an abbreviation for the Latin word confer, meaning "compare" or "consult"
4. The abbreviation q.v. stands for the Latin phrase quod vide 'which see'. It is used to direct a reader to another part of a book or article for further information.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Latin - Can anyone think of any witty or inspirational Latin phrases? I have a ...
- Latin - How do you switch Latin words to a certain tense? And how do you switch ...
- Latin - Hey I need help finding the English meaning of each of these Latin words...
- Latin - Im confused about verbs in latin. Like for instance if the sentence was ...
- latin bases - Which Latin base means to see? a.CLUD b.PLEN c.VOC- d.VIS-
- American history - Instead of using investments as a tool of U.S. foreign policy...
- Foreign Language - Latin - This week we learned the phrase, amicus curiae, ...
- Latin prefix - since the word segregate contains the Latin prefix se-,part of ...
- Vocabulary latin and greek - write a word with the latin or greek word parts ...
- latin - I have to write a simple Latin poem by tomorrow; we can literally write ...