Posted by Tom on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 at 12:52pm.
1. He dreamed a strange dream.
2. He had a strange dream.
3. He got a strange dream.
4. He dreamed strangely.
5. He dreamt a strange dream.
(Are they all the same and acceptable?)
6. There are three rice cakes in the paper bag.
7. There are three pieces of rice cake in the paper bag.
(Which one is correct? How do we count 'rice cake'? Is rice cake used as a countable noun or an uncountable noun?)
English - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, September 16, 2009 at 12:58pm
The first two are the best. Numbers 3, 4, and 5 are not commonly used.
Both 6 and 7 sound right to me.
But I'm sending your post to a bilingual Korean-American for her opinion.
English - GuruBlue, Wednesday, September 16, 2009 at 1:00pm
#'s 1 and 2 are correct usages.
One does not "get" a dream, and I have never heard of anyone "dreaming strangely". "dreamt" is generally used an a poetic context.
If you can have more than one rice cake, then it is countable. I have seen a number of them on a table.
#6 is correct. I don't know if one would want to break or cut a rice cake into 3 pieces .
Number 6 is correct and unless you can have pieces of rice cake, then I would say that # 7 is not.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. When she was young, she had a dream. 2. When young, she had a dream...
- American Dream Project - I have to do an american dream project and as part of ...
- English - Where is the simple and complete predicates in the ff.sentences: 1.A ...
- english - 4. Satisfaction is given to Mitty in his last daydream by he thinking ...
- English - Which of the following is the best paraphrase of the line, “What ...
- essay (the american dream) - i need to write an essay and make three points ...
- English - What is your dream? 1. My dream is to be an architect. 2. I want to be...
- english - Part 1 Read each of the following sets of sentences and combine them ...
- To Ms. Sue - Ms. Sue, I have to ask for your opinion on this. Which introduction...
- math - kaya is making dream catchers. each dream catchers uses 6 feathers. she ...