Posted by ggift on Monday, September 14, 2009 at 10:36pm.
solve by using the properties of equality:
4x - 18 = 65
wouldn't x = 7
- ALGEBRA - Reiny, Monday, September 14, 2009 at 10:56pm
how did you get x=7 ?
4x - 18 = 65
add 18 to both sides
4x - 18 + 18 = 65 + 18
4x = 83
divide both sides by 4
x = 83/4 (not even anywhere close to 7)
- ALGEBRA - ggift, Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 6:38am
i thought that it would be 7 because when i subtracted 18 from 65 i got 47 and 7 was missing from 4x
- ALGEBRA - MathMate, Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 8:35am
The interpretation of 4 and x in the expression "4x" as digits is used occasionally in mathematics, but more an exception than the rule.
In algebra, the multiplication sign is omitted when we multiply together two mathematical symbols or a number and a mathematical symbol.
xy is the same as x*y, and
4z equals 4*z.
It's the same principle as when we say 3 apples meaning 3 times the apples.
However, when we deal with two numbers, the multiplication sign is obligatory.
- ALGEBRA - ggift, Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 5:45pm
Oh, okay, thank you for explaining it to me.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - How do I solve a linear equation using equality properties?
- algebra - Describe in your own words how to solve a linear equation using the ...
- Math - Solve each equation by using the properties of equality. Check. 4x – 18...
- math - How to solve a linear equation using the equality properties. Help ...
- math, thanx! - Describe in your own words how to solve a linear equation using ...
- Math - Use properties of equality and numbers to solve each equation for x. A. 7...
- Pre-Algebra - Use properties of equality to simplify each of the following ...
- Math - Use the Properties of Equality to solve each equation. 1. e + 7= 15 a. 22...
- math - Solve Equation by Adding or Subtract fraction using Addition property of ...
- Geometry - How do I solve this? Complete the two-column proof. Given : 11x – 6y...