Posted by muffy on Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 12:31pm.
Shelby can paint a room in 4 hours. Zoe can paint the same room in 7 hours. How long will it take them to paint the room if they work together? If they start 9:30a.m., and want to see a movie that is playing 45 minutes from their house and starting 12:00 p.m., will they make it on time? If they can make it, how early are they? If they will be late, how late will they be?
Please let me know if I am correct.
First I took the average of 4 and 7 and got 5.5 hours. So they can both paint the room in 5.5 hours.
Next, If they start at 9:30 they will finish at 3:00
Next if they have to leave 45 minutes early to get to a 12:00 show, they should leave at 11:15.
Next, therefore, they will be 3:45 minutes late for the 12:00 show.
math - bobpursley, Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 12:47pm
You cant trust the average always.
I assume you are using a rate equation,
Consider in 28 hours, shelby can paint 7, and Zoe can paint 4. So the combined rate = (7+4 rooms)/28 hrs= 11/28 rooms/hr
Now the time to paint one room
time= amount/rate= 1room/(11/28 room/hr)
time= 1*28/11 hrs= 2.54hrs= 2hrs 33min
If they start at 9:30, then they finish about three min after noon. Check my thinking and calculations.
Now on your thinking... Using the average 5.5hrs per room, but BOTH are working, that is the average for each, so time for both together would be 5.5/2= 2.75hrs, which is not 28/11 hrs (2.545hrs). SO don't use the average, throw away that thinking, it wont work.
math - muffy, Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 1:26pm
Thank you soooooooo much, you are a great teacher! I truly understand!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Intermediate Algebra - Joe can paint a room in 6 hours while Sue can paint the ...
- math - If painter A can paint a room in three hours by themselves, and painter B...
- math - Arthur can paint a room in 6 hours. Boris can paint the same room in 8 ...
- Math - when linda and martin work together painting one room, they can complete ...
- Algebra - If Dale can paint a room in 5 hours alone and Chip can paint the same ...
- math question grade 8!! - shelby wants to paint the walls and ceiling of a ...
- maths plz help - Painters A and B take 3 hours to paint a room Painters B and C ...
- math - nadia can paint a room in 5 hours Nat can paint the same room in 7 hours ...
- math - A can paint a room in 3 hours, and B can paint a room in 4 hours. How ...
- Math - It take peter 5 hours to pain a Room. It takes Juan 3.75 hours to paint a...