Posted by Noelle on Thursday, September 10, 2009 at 9:16pm.
Dorthy is 6 years older than Ricardo. The product of their present age is twice what the product of their ages was 6 years ago. How old is Dorthy?
- math - Reiny, Thursday, September 10, 2009 at 9:30pm
Ricardo's present age --- x
Dorothy's present age --- x+6
product of their present ages = x(x+6)
6 years ago:
product of their ages then = x(x-6)
x(x+6) = 2x(x-6)
solve for x, sub into x+6
- math - MathMate, Thursday, September 10, 2009 at 9:32pm
Let D=age of Dorthy.
" Dorthy is 6 years older than Ricardo. "
Age of Ricardo = D-6
"The product of their present age"
"is twice what the product of their ages was 6 years ago"
D(D-6) = 2*((D-6)*(D-12))
Simplify and solve for D and reject the solution of D=6 because it is a trivial solution. Check the answer by substitution into problem data.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Bert is 5 years older than twice the age of mario. Nine years ago, the ...
- math - A. Brad is 12 years older than Sam . If Brad were 8 years older than he ...
- math - Miriam is four years older than Ricardo. 10 years ago she was 3 times as ...
- vivekanand H s SCHOOL - the difference of ages between 2 sisters is 10 years, 15...
- maths - A woman is now 4 times older than her daughter.Six years ago,the product...
- Math help! - Miriam is four years older than Ricardo. Ten years ago Miriam was 3...
- Elementary Math - Miriam is four years older than Ricardo. Ten years ago Miriam ...
- Ifugao State University - Daisy is 3 years older than JR. Two years ago Daisy ...
- Math - Drew is twice as old as his sister joy.The quotient of their ages five ...
- algebra - The combined age of a father and his two sons is 50 years. Four years ...