Posted by mysterychicken on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 2:45pm.
I have to complete this puzzle for my course but I'm really stuck on it; I've done one like this before but I think in this one there might be a typo, but I'm not sure. Anyways:
I have been given 6 hints and 10 places and I have to find out which place fits with all the given hints.
The hints are:
1. not be a national capital [typo?]
2. be located on an ocean, major lake, or a major river.
3. be located within the continent, not on either coast.
4. have one official language.
5. have previously hosted a World's Fair or exposition.
6. be in a grassland region to allow fairgoers to see a praire reserve
The places are:
San Francisco, California
New York, New York
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think the first hint is a typo because then it says: "you read that it says no national capitals, which leaves eight cities" but the only cities that aren't national capitals are Toronto and Vancouver, British Columbia and that would leave only two choices.
- Geography - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 2:56pm
I think you've misunderstood "national capitals." The only national capitals are Washington, D.C., U.S., and Ottawa, Canada. Most of the others aren't even state or provincial capitals.
Let's eliminate the Canadian cities because Canada has two official languages.
The cities located on an ocean, major river or major lake are:
Then we can eliminate San Francisco and New York because they are on a coast.
I'm sure you can figure this out from here.
- Geography - mysterychicken, Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 3:00pm
Thanks a million Ms.Sue..you're a lifesaver! =D
- Geography--PLEASE CHECK - mysterychicken, Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 3:03pm
--Is it Chicago, Illinois?
- Geography - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 3:09pm
Yes, it's Chicago, which hosted World's Fairs in 1893 and 1933-34. My grandfather went to the first one and probably the second, along with my parents. Also, Illinois's nickname is "The Prairie State."
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Hello! How to present smoking as a topic to students? There are 22 ...
- precalc - I am stuck on this one problem and think it might be the teachers ...
- geography - I'm really stuck on my homework it says Geography can be divided ...
- Factoring and Prime - I am still having troulbe with these. Her is another one I...
- psychology - Sona is trying to put together a puzzle that is too difficult for ...
- Geography - A Day Without Farming? This is for Geography. I have to hand in one ...
- 8th Grade Electives Advice - Hi, I'm really struggling with my decision about ...
- French - I'm doing a French crossword puzzle, and I'm stuck on one of the words...
- math-moneyfractions - i have some math questions that i really ,really,need help...
- Can someone help me think of one word for.... - What's one good word that all ...