Posted by Samantha on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:18pm.
Lately I just have blacked out in my algebra 1 class. Here's a equation on my worksheet, and I would be happy if you could show in steps how you got your answer. Thank you.
Algebra 1 - Reiny, Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:22pm
this is not an equation, it probably says to "simplify" it.
how about pretending to see it as :
1(2x²+5x+3)-1(x²+2x+1) , then
Algebra 1 - Samantha, Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:30pm
Yes it does say simplify it, I'm sorry. I understand how you got that, but what if I had something like this.
Algebra 1 - MathMate, Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:59pm
You start by ordering the terms. The priority of ordering is
1. name of variable in alphabetical order.
For example, put 2xy before y²
2. power of variable in descending order.
Example: x²y is placed before xy²
3. The constant term will be placed at the end.
After that, you would have collected like terms together. Add/subtract like terms. For example, 2x²y + 4x²y = 6x²y.
3x² + x²y + 4x + 5xy - 2xy + y
Add like terms, if any (5xy-2xy=3xy)
3x² + x²y + 4x + 3xy + y
That is all you can do. You cannot add/subtract unlike terms.
x²y and -2yx² are like terms.
xy and 3x² are unlike terms.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - it is cross math (like sudouk) six rows across and six rows down 1st row ...
- Math !!!!!!!! - Ok i have a Summer Math Assignment & i really need help on this ...
- Algebra equation - Any advice on this one would be appreciated I have the ...
- Algebra I - So- im trying to help my little brother out with his Algebra- but ...
- algebra - 3(7+2x ¡Ü 30+7 (x-1) The answer to this inequality problem is x ¡Ý -2 ...
- algebra - 3(7+2x)¡Ü 30+7 (x-1) The answer to this inequality problem is x ¡Ý -2 ...
- algebra - I need to find the inverse of this function f(x)=9x+7 please show ...
- Algebra - Here is the problem: Given f(x)=-x^3+3x^2-2x+6, find f(-1), f(0), and ...
- Algebra--Correction? - Solve the absolute value equation. I I will represent ...
- Algebra (6th grade) - I need help on the algebra with pizzazz worksheet page 8 ...