Posted by Autumn on Monday, September 7, 2009 at 8:46pm.
a car travels 59.78 miles east in 89.67 minutes, then 89.67 miles north in 59.78 minutes, and then 29.89 miles at 59.78 degrees west of south in 149.45 minutes. whats the magnitude of the car's average velocity in miles per hour???
P.S. please don't round your numbers till the final answer, so there are no rounding errors, and please round the final number to 4 significant figures.
Do you need the degrees to solve this problem?? Alos please, if you are so kind explain step by step as to how to solve this problem.
- Physics - MathMate, Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 8:40am
The best way to solve this type of problems is by a table of component vectors.
Let x- and y-axes represent east and north respectively.
Resolve each segment of the trip into the x- and y-components.
Add up vectorially the components, which is the resultant displacement.
If the displacement is (x,y), the magnitude is √(x²+y²).
Work in hours, i.e. minutes should be divide by 60.
Distance x-component y-component
59.78 59.78*cos(0) 59.78*sin(0)
89.67 89.67*cos(90) 89.67*sin(90)
29.89 29.89*cos(270-59.78) 29.89*sin(270-59.78)
sum x y
Find (x,y), and the magnitude of displacment is √(x²+y²)
Divide the magnitude of displacement by the time (in hours) will give you the average velocity in miles per hour.
Post your answer for verification if necessary.
- Physics - Autumn, Tuesday, September 8, 2009 at 9:59pm
i got 16.46 mi/hr. is that right??
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - a car travels 59.78 miles east in 89.67 minutes, then 89.67 miles ...
- Physics - A car travels 15 miles east in 34 minutes. what is the velocity in ...
- physics - A man walks 3 miles east in 1 hour at a constant velocity, then walks ...
- algebra - A car travels at a constant rate of 45 mph on a highway iffinitely (...
- Math - A boat travels 74 miles on a course with direction 34 degrees and then ...
- Story Problem - Ann drove 8 miles east, 4 miles south, 3 miles east, 6 miles ...
- Math - A car traveled 281 miles in 4 hours 41 minutes. What was the average ...
- Algebra - Yes. The car will travel 40 miles in an hour. A certain Car Travels 14...
- Calculus, antiderivatives - A student accelerates from rest at a rate of 3 miles...
- math hw - 40. How far (in miles) does a car travel when its average rate is 35 ...