Posted by Anon on Monday, September 7, 2009 at 12:05pm.
What orbitals are used to form the C–B bonds in B(CH3)3?
- Organic Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, September 7, 2009 at 12:37pm
Boron has an electronic structure of 1s2 2s2 2p1 but it is never found in the +1 state, only the +3 state. One of the 2s electrons is promoted to the 2p level to make the sp2 hybrid which is trigonal planar in 3-D.
- Organic Chemistry - Glow, Monday, September 7, 2009 at 3:52pm
I don't understand. They gave options for this question. What I don't understand is how to find their orbitals.
Here are the options:
C sp – B sp2
C sp2 – B sp2
C sp3 – B sp3
C sp3 – B sp2
C sp2 – B sp3
- Organic Chemistry - Glow, Monday, September 7, 2009 at 3:56pm
Sorry let me repost.
A). C sp – B sp2 B). C sp2 – B sp2
C). C sp3 – B sp3 D). C sp3 – B sp2
E). C sp2 – B sp3
- Organic Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, September 7, 2009 at 5:09pm
C in CH4 is sp3 hybridized so CH3- (denoting a bond to something else) is sp3. B, as I explained in my first response, is sp2 so the correct answer should be C.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Organic Chem - What orbitals are used to form the C–B bonds in B(CH3)3?
- Chemistry - When you're naming organic compounds, is there more than one name ...
- chemistry - which of the structures are impossible ,give the numbers of bonds ...
- chemistry - what are structural formulas?? also is this correct hybridization is...
- organic chem - Which are enatiomers? optically active?identical? diastereomers? ...
- Chemistry - I would appeciate any help with identifying the chiral carbons, if ...
- Chem - Hey in class we learned that pi molecular orbitals come from overlapping ...
- Chemistry - It is difficult to type these but I'll do my best. This is the first...
- chemistry - How does Carbon hybridize it's S and P orbitals and what effect does...
- chemistry - Carbon is able to form large numbers of organic compounds because ...