Posted by Ashley on Sunday, September 6, 2009 at 8:58pm.
A projectile is launched straight up from the ground with an initial velocity of 320 ft/sec.
a. When will the projectiles height above the ground be 1024 ft?
For this I got 16 seconds
b. When will the height of the projectile be at least 24 ft?
I am not sure how to figure this one out.
c. When will the object strike the ground?
I got 20 seconds
d. What is the maximum height of the projectile?
I got 1600 feet.
So, I am still unsure about b and I wanted to know if my other answers seem correct
Pre-Calculus - Reiny, Sunday, September 6, 2009 at 11:25pm
c) and d) are correct
for a) and the others I assume you used Calculus and the equation
distance = -16t^2 + 320t to find your answers
you must have set 1024 = -16t^2 + 320t
after re-arranging and dividing by 16 this would give you
t^2 - 20t + 64 = 0
(t-16)(t-4) = 0
so t = 16 or t = 4
you had the t=16, but failed to show the t=4 case.
It reached a height of 1024 twice, at 4 seconds after liftoff on its way up, and then 16 seconds later on its way down
set 24 = -16t^2 + 320t
16t^2 - 320t + 24 = 0
2t^2 - 40t + 3 = 0
using the quadratic formula
t = (40 ± √(1600-4(2)(3))/4
= 19.92 or .075
so between the times of .075 and 19.92 seconds the object is at least 24 feet high.
Pre-Calculus - Ashley, Monday, September 7, 2009 at 12:15am
My mistake. b should have asked at least 1024 ft. So does that mean the answer would be anytime in between 4 and 16 seconds?
b. When will the height of the projectile be at least 1024 ft?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Aria - If a projectile is shot vertically upward from the ground with an initial...
- Physics - A projectile is fired straight up from a cliff which is 200 feet above...
- Math - A projectile is fired straight up from a cliff which is 200 feet above ...
- Physics- i need to know how to do these problems - Two projectiles are launched ...
- Physics Projectile Motion - A projectile is launched at ground level with an ...
- physics - a projectile is fired from the top of a building with an initial ...
- physics - Assume a projectile is launched from ground height over a flat plane, ...
- Algebra II - A projectile is launched from a platform 10 meters above ground ...
- Algebra - The function H(t) = -16t2 + vt + s shows the height H (t), in feet, of...
- physics - A projectile is launched at ground level with an initial speed of 56.0...