Posted by casey on Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 9:12pm.
Blue prints allow an area of 20,000 square feet for the playground. the width of the rectangular playground is 80 feet less than its length and its perimeter is 640 freet. what is the length of the playground?
algebra 1 - DrBob222, Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 9:24pm
Let L = length
W = L-80
So L-80 + L-80 + L + L = 640.
Solve for L.
algebra 1 - Emily, Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 9:28pm
Area = L * W
Perimeter = 2L + 2W
W = L - 80
So, plug in the width formula into the perimeter equation, which would look like this:
640 = 2L + 2(L-80)
640 = 2L + 2L - 160
640 = 4L - 160
800 = 4L
L = 200
It looks like you don't even need the information about the area of the playground; just the perimeter.
Hope this helps! If you have any questions about my method just post :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - The perimeter of rectangular playground is 200 feet. If the length is...
- Math - A school is fencing in a rectangular area for a playground. It plans to ...
- math - The surface area covered by a rectangular playground is 100 square yards...
- Algebra - The length of a rectangular playground exceeds twice its width by 25 ...
- geometry - the area of the rectangular playground enclosure at South School is ...
- algebra - The dimensions of a playground are 50 feet by 75 feet. You want to ...
- Algebra1 - The area of a playground is 221 yd2. The width of the playground is 4...
- math - The boundary of a park is shaped like a circle. The park has a ...
- Algebra - The area of a playground is 221 yd^2. The width of the playground is ...
- Algebra - the width w of a rectangular swimming pool is x-2. The area of the ...