Posted by trixie on Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 6:32pm.
it says write the equation of the vertical line that passes through the point (7,-3). what do i need to start it off?
find the equation for the line with undefined slope and passing through the point (-1,-2). what do i need to start that off?
what equation do i use to find the slope-intercept?
whats the point-slope form?
- algebra review! - Reiny, Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 8:38pm
any vertical line has an undefined slope and always has the form x = c, where c is a constant.
All you need is a point, then simply state it as x = 'the x of the given point'
so for your first one : x = 7
for the second x = -1
slope-intercept form looks like this
y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept
e.g. y = 4x + 9
the slope is 4 and the y-intercept is 9
the point-slope form is one of the best ways to find the equation of a straight line, given the slope and a point
e.g. given the point (5,-3) and slope of 2/3, find the equation
y - (-3) = (2/3)(x - 5)
3(y+3) = 2(x-5)
3y + 3 = 2x - 10
you can now re-arrange it to end up with any version they ask for.
- algebra review! - Reiny, Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 8:43pm
my last line should have been
3y + 9 = 2x - 10
Answer this Question
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- algebra - Write the equation of the line with x-intercept (–8, 0) and undefined ...
- algebra - Write the equation of the line that passes through point (5, 4) with a...
- Algebra II - Can you make sure my Algebra II work is correct? I've done the ...
- Algebra - Can someone check my answers? 1. Write the equation of the line that ...
- Math- finding equation - Can someone explain to me how to find the equation pf ...
- ALG 2!!! - Write an equation of a line with an undefined slope and passing ...
- Math(check) - 1)Find the range of the relation [(-1,4)},(2,5),(3,5)}.Then ...
- Algebra - I'm suppose to write an equation with the following information: Line ...
- math - I have a few question so I will number them off. Please answer them for ...