Posted by Sean on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 at 11:03pm.
Candy and Tim share a paper route. It takes Candy 70min to deliver all the papers, and it takes Tim 80min. How long does it take the two when they work together?
The answer is 37min and 20s. Here's what I have. 7/6t + 8/6t = 15/6
I have t = 5/2. I don't think that's 37min and 20s. Is it?
- Algebra - Reiny, Wednesday, September 2, 2009 at 11:11pm
Candy's rate = route/70
Tim's rate = route/80
combined rate = route/80 + route/70
so time to do route with combined rate
= 37 1/3 minutes
and of course 1/3 minute is 20 seconds,
so 37 minutes, 20 seconds
- Algebra - Sean, Wednesday, September 2, 2009 at 11:23pm
how did you get 3(route)/112 ?
- Algebra - DrBob222, Wednesday, September 2, 2009 at 11:34pm
You may want to consider a slightly different approach. It makes it easier for me to understand.
Assume the paper route is 100 papers.
Then Candy can deliver 100 papers/70 min = 1.42857 papers/min.
Tim can deliver 100 papers/80 min = 1.25 papers/min.
Together they can deliver 1.42857/min + 1.25/min = 2.67857 papers/min.
So if there are 100 papers, it will take 100 papers x (1 min/2.67857) = 37.3333 minutes. This method has the disadvantage that the decimal equivalent of 1/3 is a repeating fraction; however, the answer is 37 min and 19.999999 seconds which for all practical purposes is 37 min and 20 seconds.
- Algebra - Reiny, Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 7:57am
Sean, if in DrBob's way you replace "100 papers" with my "route" the solutions are the same, except Bob changed his fractions to decimals.
in my case, "route" canceled, in Bob's case "100 papers" canceled.
In these "working together" kind of problems, if one person can do the job in a hours, another in b hours, c hours for the next and so on,
then when all are working together, the time taken will be
1/(1/a + 1/b + 1/c + ...)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- pre calculus - Candy and Tim share a paper route. It takes Candy 70 min to ...
- algebra - maria and tim sold candy bars for a fundraiser.maria sold 7 less than ...
- algebra - maria and tim sold candy bars for a fundraiser. maria sold 7 less than...
- ASAP MATH! - A paper carrier rides a bicycle to deliver newspapers on his route....
- Algebra 1 - If Sandra takes 3/14 of the candy, and Elise takes 0.3, whos takes ...
- math - 1. Tim has an after-school delivery service that he provides for several ...
- English - 1. What did Bora want to do? - She wanted to do volunteer work. 2. ...
- math - if you have a jar filled with candy and every time you take one candy out...
- Math - The time it takes to complete a given trip varies inversely as the speed ...
- Analytic Geometry(Math) - A shopkeeper packages together two types of hard candy...