Posted by Michelle on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 6:43am.
What is the molarity of a solution in which 13.7 g of calcium chloride is dissolved in water to a final volume of 750.0 mL?
- Chemistry II - MathMate, Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 8:12am
Atomic weight of
Ca : 40
Cl : 35.5
Molecular weight of CaCl2=40+35.5*2=111
Moles=weight in grams/Molecular weight
=13.7/111 = 0.1234 moles
Molarity = 0.1234 moles/750 ml.
Please check the atomic weights and the calculations.
- Chemistry II - Dr Russ, Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 8:22am
Also note that units are missing and incorrect in places so that equations do not balance.
Relative Atomic Mass (RAM) of
Ca : 40
Cl : 35.5
Relative Molecular Mass of CaCl2=40+(35.5*2)=111
Moles=mass in grams/RAM
=13.7 g/111 g mol^-1
= 0.1234 mol
Molarity of solution = 0.1234 mol/0.7500 l.
or 0.165 M
- Chemistry II - MathMate, Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 10:03am
Thank you Dr. Russ.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry! - determine the new molarity of calcium ions when 50.0 mL of a 1.50 ...
- chemistry - How many grams of calcium chloride would you dissolve in water to ...
- chemistry >< óż - Heat energy is released when anhydrous calcium chloride ...
- AP Chem - An aqueous solution contains 4.50 g of calcium chloride, CaCl2, per ...
- Chemistry HW!!! - 1. If I dilute 75 mL of 0.50 M CaF2 solution to a final volume...
- chemistry - 5.85g of sodium chloride is dissolved in 250mL of solution. ...
- chemistry - A 60.0-g sample of NaOH is dissolved in water, and the solution is ...
- Chemistry - When 20.8 g of calcium chloride, CaCl2, was dissolved in water in a ...
- chemistry - problem 2. a sample of calcium chloride weighs 1.64g. it is ...
- chemistry - What is the percent by mass of 3.55 g NaCl dissolved in 88 g H2O? 2...