Posted by Trig on Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 7:36pm.
h t t p : / / m a t h c e n t r a l . u r e g i n a . c a / Q Q / d a t a b a s e / Q Q . 0 9 . 9 9 / a n g e l a 2 . 2 . g i f
give that picture how do I solve for
(h) I know that you you
From the diagram tan(3.5) = h/(13 + x) and tan(9) = h/x. Solve the second equation for x, substitute in the first equation, and solve for h.
i\'m just having a hard time getting a formula for h if you could show me how to do it that would be great...
- Trig - bobpursley, Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 7:43pm
ok,first look up tan(3.5)=.061163
so h= (13+x)*tan(3.5)
Then, tan 9 you can look that up
solve for x
Finally, put that into the second equation you typed, and solve for h
- Trig - Reiny, Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 7:55pm
I would solve each equation for h, and then equate the two right sides ...
h = (13+x)tan3.5
h = xtan9
(13+x)tan3.5 = xtan9
13tan3.5 + xtan3.5 = xtan9
13tan3.5 = xtan9 - xtan3.5
13tan3.5 = x(tan9 - tan3.5)
x = 13tan3.5/(tan9 - tan3.5)
evaluate x and sub back into #2
in the left triangle we can find the other two angles, the one exterior to 9 would be 171, making the top angle 5.5º
Now by the Sine Law you could find the side which is the hypotenuse to the right-angled triangle (call it b)
b/sin3.5 = 13/sin5.5
once you have that hypotenuse the other two sides of the right-angled triangle are easy to find
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- precalc - Suppose that z1=6-8i. Find: A. The Trig Form of the complex number z1...
- calculus - 1. what trig function has an amplitue of 1 and negative values for ...
- math - could someone please refresh my memory of the basic trig functions? ex) ...
- Trig - Find (if possible) the trig function of the quadrant angle. sec 3pi/2
- trig - How do you solve cos(2arcsin 1/4) using inverse trig. functions??!! ...
- trig - express the trig. ratios sinA,secA n tanA in terms of cotA.
- trig - What is the shift along x of the following trig functions? y = (3sinx/2...
- trig - What kind of reflections are the following trig functions? y = 3cos(x-1) ...
- trig - find the 5 trig ratios when sin theta = -5/13 and lies in quadrant 3
- trig - simplify to a constant or basic trig function.. 1+tan(x)/1+cot(x)