Posted by John on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 3:01pm.
The solubility of a compound is 59g per 100mL in boiling methanol and 30g per 100mL in cold methanol, whereas its solubility in water is 7.2g per 100mL at 95C and 0.22g per 100mL at 2C. Which solvent would be better for recrystallization of the compound? Explain
I am not quite sure how to start it out.
Organic Chemistry - bobpursley, Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 3:06pm
In methanol, almost half still is dissolved in cold methanol.
In water, only three percent is still dissolved.
Besides, who wants to stir boiling methanol?
Organic Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 3:08pm
If percent recovery is not an issue, either solvent will work ok. However, note that using methanol loses half the product. From a personal standpoint, I would choose water. It is less soluble BUT the loss is very low.
Organic Chemistry - John, Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 3:23pm
I sort of see it now. I was wondering what is the formula used to calculate the percent recovery?
Organic Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 3:41pm
Just like any percent.
In this case, you get 29 g (59-30) back in the cold methanol and you started with 59g; therefore,
%rec =(29/59)*100 = 49% recovered. 51% is lost. (We could have chosen any number to start that we wanted and used proportions to determine how much was soluble at the higher T and how much was soluble at the lower T, but why makes things hard? I just chose 59 g so we KNOW that will dissolve and will leave 29 g at the end. )
Organic Chemistry - Mr Poop, Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 9:57pm
Organic Chemistry - Annie, Friday, January 18, 2013 at 1:24am
If biphenyl dissolves in both cold and hot methanol, would this be a good recrystallization solvent for biphenyl? Explain please!!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- organic chemistry - The solubility of a compound is 59g per 100mL in boiling ...
- Chem - the solubility of a compound is 59g per 100 mL in boiling methanol and ...
- Orgo - The solubility of compound A in ethanol is .8g per 100ml at 0degreesC and...
- Chemistry - The solubility of a certain compound in ice-cold water is 0.22g in ...
- nutrition in drinks - 1.homany kj per 100ml in 2 Lt.apple juice? 2.sodium per ...
- Organic Chemistry - A compound whose solubility in ethanol is 4.24g/100ml at 78c...
- Chemistry - Which of the following mixtures of KCl in water is a saturated ...
- chemistry - Which solvent is more preferential? Solubility of a substance: water...
- Chemistry - The solubility of salicilyc acid in water at 20C is .2g in 100mL. ...
- Chemistry! - Calculate the solubility of Ag2CrO4 in grams/100mL of water? (Ksp...