Posted by sam on Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 1:15pm.
Is this the right way to answer this question?
A physics exam consists of 9 multiple-choice questions and 6 open-ended problems in which all work must be shown. If an examinee must answer 7 of the multiple-choice questions and 3 of the open-ended problems, in how many ways can the questions and problems be chosen?
(9x8x7x6x5x4x3)x (6x5x4) = 21772800
math - Marth, Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 1:25pm
The number of possibilities is nCk, or n choose k.
nCk = n! / (k! (n-k)!)
For example, the number of possibilities for the multiple choice questions is 9C7.
There are 2 types of questions - multiply the number of possibilities for each question.
math - sam, Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 1:40pm
I tried that and it doesn't seem to add up.
n! = 9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2 / (k= 7x6x5x4x3x2(2) = 362880/5040(2)=362880/10080 = 36 there seems to be more possibilities than that
math - Marth, Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 1:56pm
For the multiple choice questions, the examinee is choosing 7 out of 9 questions. There are not so many ways you can choose 7 of those 9 - remember order does not matter.
Also, after you compute the 6C3 for the open ended, and multiply them, you end up with 720 possibilities total.
math - sam, Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 2:11pm
Thank you thank you!! I understand now!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- SOLVE -MATH - A physics exam consists of 9 multiple choice questions and 6 open-...
- MATH - A physics exam consists of 9 multiple choice questions and 6 open-ended ...
- Math - A physics exam consists of 9 multiple-choice questions and 6 open-ended ...
- Algebra - An algebra teacher is writing a test. There will be two types of ...
- AP stuff - "Come to... classroom after school (the possible dates will be ...
- Stat HW for. - 1. A student taking a midterm exam in Ancient History comes to ...
- Statistical concept 68-95-99.7 - 1. A student taking a midterm exam in Ancient ...
- math - Part A of your history test has 15 multiple choice questions. Each ...
- Stats - An instructor gives a test with 20 multiple choice questions. There are ...
- MATH - A quiz consists of 90 multiple-choice questions, each with 4 possible ...