Posted by M.A. on Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 9:21am.
How many times does the number "9" appear in the page numbers of a 100-page newspaper? Choose from
the possible answers below.
Unless this is a trick question that I have missed, there should be 11 times that the
number "9" appears:
9, 19, 29, 39, 49, 59, 69, 79, 89, and twice in 99 = 11 "9's"
"11" is not a possible choice.
Is there something special about the numbered pages of a newspaper that would affect this answer?
Or are they considering that the "99"
has only one number 9 since the first
9 would represent 90?
- math - Damon, Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 10:28am
I got 11 too. There is probably a trick but I do not get it. Perhaps they are counting upside down 6 or something.
- math - Ms. Sue, Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 11:00am
I think you forgot
90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, and 98.
I get 20 times.
- thank you - M.A., Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 11:41am
Oh how simple! Thank you!
- math - Ms. Sue, Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 11:43am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - A student opens a math book to two facing pages.The product of the ...
- Math/Algebra - A student opens a mathematics book to two facing pages. The ...
- math - Please check answers 1. Michael, a freelance editor, charges the rates ...
- algebra - A student opens a mathematics book to two facing pages. The product of...
- history!!!! - what page (number) does 'The Works of Mr. Nash appear on in the ...
- APA FORMATTING - I think it's C. Am I right? When using APA, which of the ...
- math - A book has 500 pages numbered 1, 2, 3, and so on. How many times does the...
- algebra - The product of the page numbers on two facing pages of a book is 110. ...
- math - A student opens a mathematics book to two facing pages. The product of ...
- English - Can someone please tell me the format of a COVER page in MLA. I'm ...