Posted by susan on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 6:14pm.
i'm having trouble figuring out my unknown compound.
The elemental analysis is 87.28%carbon and 12.72% hydrogen for my unknown liquid, and for my solid unknown the elemental analysis is 79.22% carbon and 5.7% hydrogen and 15.98% oxygen.
I'm not able to figure out the molecular formula for both.Please help!
organic chemistry - bobpursley, Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 6:48pm
I can help you get the empirical formula for each.
1) assume you have a sample of 100 g
then 87.28 grams of C, or xxx moles of C
and 12.72 g of H, or yyyy moles of H
Now whichever number of moles is the least, divide that into each xxxx and yyyy. The whole number is the subscripts in the empirical formula. If you do not get a whole number ratio, multiply each number by a common factor until you get a whole number ratio.
I get in my head C4H7 for the empirical formula.
Do the same technique for the second compound
To get the molecular formula from the empirical formula, you need more information.
organic chemistry - susan, Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 7:16pm
thanks 4 the help
i have the empirical formula,but i'm not able to get the molecular formula.
organic chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 7:37pm
You need more information to obtain the molecular formula. Did you do a freezing point depression to obtain an approximate molar mass? Or some other experiment to determine the approximate molar mass.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - An unknown organic compound that contains carbon,hydrogen and oxygen...
- Chemistry - An Unknown Compound (M=60.09 g/mol) is composed of Carbon, Hydrogen ...
- chemistry - Combustion analysis of 1.200 gram of an unknown compound containing ...
- Chemistry - A compound containing only carbon, hydrogen and oxygen is subjected ...
- Chemistry 1201 - An unknown compound contains only carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen...
- Chemistry - Combustion analysis of 0.300 g of an unknown compound containing ...
- Chemistry - Elemental analysis of a compound, once used as a pesticide, was ...
- Chemistry - 0.717 g of a compound containing carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen is ...
- chemistry - An unknown compound contains only carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen (...
- Chemistry - Combustion analysis of an unknown compound containing only carbon ...