Posted by m-cook on Monday, August 17, 2009 at 4:20am.
on a farm there is 18 pigs and chickens (all together). There are 52 legs, how many pigs and how many chickens are there? Show how you got your answer. i know there are 10 chickens and 8 pigs, but i did that through trial and error, can you help me figure out the right math to do for this problem.
- 6th grade math - MathMate, Monday, August 17, 2009 at 8:46am
There are two ways to do it, the farmer's way and the mathematicians's. I prefer the farmer's way.
First, the farmer's way:
We have 18 animals and 52 legs.
If we have 9 of each, that makes an average of 3 legs each animal, we get 3*18=54 legs. We only have 52. So change one pig (9-1=8) for a chicken (9+1=10) to get 52 legs (two less). That makes 10 chickens and 8 pigs. No calculators, no pain either.
Now the mathematicians way:
Let p be the number of pigs, then the number of chickens is (18-p).
The total number of legs is thus
4*p + 2(18-p) = 52
2p = 52-36
p = 16/2
(18-p) = 18-8 = 10
Answer: there are 8 pigs and 10 chickens.
- 6th grade math - john, Monday, August 17, 2009 at 9:57pm
make a funny sentense for each math word
- 6th grade math - Anonymous, Monday, May 4, 2015 at 8:17pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - There are three times as many chickens than pigs on a farm. All the ...
- Algebra 1 - a farm raises a total of 220 chickens and pigs. The number of legs ...
- algebra - A farm raises a total of 220 chickens and pigs. The number of legs of ...
- Algebra - An algebra teacher drove past a farmyard that was full of chickens ...
- Math 8th grade - A pen contained chickens and pigs. There were 28 legs and 9 ...
- Math - Can you please help me figure out how i go about figuring the following ...
- MATH - PIGS HAVE 4 LEGS - CHICKENS HAVE 2 EACH ... IF YOU HAVE A TOTAL OF 50 ...
- Maths - 1/3 of the total barn animals were chickens and rest were pigs there ...
- math - 52 legs, there are 16 animals, how many chickens and pigs are there
- Math - Farmer Jane has only pigs and chickens on her farm. She can't remember ...