Posted by maryk on Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 7:20pm.
I need to find the intercepts and then use them to graph the equation.
4y - 12 = 4x
I started out
4y - 12 + 12 = 4x +12
4y = 16x
but I do not think I am on the right path..something does not look right..please guide :)
- algebra - Jennie, Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 7:57pm
To get the x intercept you are going to want to isolate the x so that your problem equals x SO try dividing the 4 in 4x by itself to cancel it out. Since you have to do the same thing on both sides, divide the 4 by 4y and by 12 then you have x=y-3. Here is an example of how to get y: Say my problem was 2y-6=2x you would subtract the 2y to get it on the other side of the equal sign (-6=-2y+2x) then send the 2x to the other side (-6-2x=-2y). Finally divide the -2 to both sides to isolate the y (y=1x+3)
-Im sorry if I that made no since at all if it didnt disregard this and hopefully someone else can describe it better good luck!
- algebra - Marth, Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 9:40pm
When you tried it, you incorrectly added 4x + 12 = 16x.
The x intercept is a point on the x axis. In other words, the y value at that point(s) is 0.
So, given your equation 4y - 12 = 4x, set y equal to 0 and solve for x.
4(0) - 12 = 4x
x = ?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - y^2-x-4=0 a)find all x and y intercepts of the graph implied by this ...
- College Algebra - Write the equation of the circle in standard form. Find the ...
- Math - If a graph of a quadratic function can have 0, 1 or 2 x-intercepts. How ...
- college algebra - Can someone please help me find the x-intercepts and y-...
- Math - Find the intercepts and use them to graph the equation. y=x-6 A)what are ...
- algebra - How would I use the intercepts to graph the equation x+2y=4 what ...
- algebra - Find the intercepts and use them to graph the equation. Y = x-7 qaz
- quadratic functions - The graph of a quadratic function can have 0, 1 or 2 x-...
- Algebra - Find the x and y intercepts and graph the equation plotting the ...
- algebra - -2x+5y=-15 Find the x- and y-intercepts and graph the equation ...