Posted by bandit on Thursday, August 6, 2009 at 10:26pm.
i have a piece of wood 72 inches long i cut it into 3 peices. the 2nd peice is 6 inches longer than the 1st the third id 6 inches longer than the 2nd. write and equation and solve??
algebra 2 - MathMate, Thursday, August 6, 2009 at 10:31pm
First you define the variable,
let x be the length of the first piece in inches.
Then make an equation using the variable to represent the given relations:
x + (x+6) + (x+6)+6 = 72
Collect like terms:
3x + 18 = 72
Solve for x:
3x = 72 - 18 = 54
x = 18
Finally, verify the answer using the given relations.
First piece = 18 inches
second piece = 24 inches
third piece = 30 inches
Total = 18+24+30 = 72 inches
The solution is correct.
algebra 2 - bandit, Thursday, August 6, 2009 at 11:19pm
algebra 2 - Pj, Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 3:20am
Frist .18inches, 2nd .18+6=24inches,3rd. 24+6=30inches.
To check. 18 +24+ 30=72
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - you have a piece of wood that is 144 inches long. you cut it into three ...
- Math word problem - I know the answer, but is there a formula to show work? Amy ...
- Algebra - Jake has a 3 foot long peice of wood that he wants to make into a ...
- geometry - how many inches long is the radius of the largest circle that can fit...
- Algebra - a 260 m wire is cut into 3 pieces. The second is 4 times longer than ...
- Math - A 3-foot piece of wood is cut into two equal sections. How long is each ...
- College Algebra - A rectanguler piece of metal is 5 inches longer than it is ...
- Math - A piece of fabric is 52 inches long. You cut the fabric into two pieces. ...
- MATH - jESS WOULD LIKE TO CUT A BOARD THAT WAS 50 INCHES LONG INTO 2 PIECES ONE ...
- Math - Sara bought 2 boards of wood one board is 18 inches the other is 30 ...