Posted by Warda on Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 8:16pm.
What is the difference between utilitarianism and socialism?
A: Socialism emphasizes individual freedom, and utilitarianism condemns industrial capitalism.
B: Socialism states that government should regulate the means of production, and utilitarianism argues that there should be no government.
C: Utilitarianism emphasizes individual freedom and the greatest happiness for thegreatest number of people, and socialism condemns industrial capitalism.
D: Utilitarianism sees class struggle between employers and employees as unavoidable, and socialism states that large social groups maintain peace and justice.
history - Warda, Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 8:17pm
i think the answer could either be B or C.. im not sure which one
history - Writeacher, Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 8:39pm
Let us know what you think.
history - Warda, Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 8:47pm
c. is probably the closest answer.
Utilitarianism is an economic philosophy that espouses the measurement of economic activity in theoretical units, called 'utils,' that are based on the benefit experienced by individuals. The idea is that an economy is successful when it maximizes agregegate utility (greatest happiness for the greatest number aproximates that).
b. socialism states that government should regulate the means of production, & utilitarianism argues that there should be no government.
•Jeremy Bentham and Utilitarianism:, Utilitarian School; self-interest of individuals is to increase pleasure, and to avoid pain. In a liberal environment where there is no state intervention social order is likely to be established through individuals themselves seeking their self-interests...
• he was father of liberalism. His philosophy was followed by James Mill and John Stuart Mill
1.every objects has utility. That is every object can satisfy a want
2.utility, as the attribute of an object, is subjective. It is what we like or do not like. There is quantifiable measure; intensity, duration and proximity of pleasure. For example, some a poem has a greater utility than hot dog
3.the purpose of our lives is to increase pleasure and to avoid pain. This is felicific calculus that applies not just in economic life but any other aspects.
•So, “ the greatest happiness for the greatest number” would result. More people would be happy than unhappy
as you see im not sure its either b or c
history - Writeacher, Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 8:50pm
I agree with you on your first choice - C. Be careful not to "over think" things!!
history - DAINELIS, Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 6:26pm
Poems acrostic to aristotle?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- United States Government - Capitalism is a system that may be seen as the ...
- Criminal justice - 1. Though both emphasize consequences, utilitarianism differs...
- technology - The idea that social and economic inequalities must be to the ...
- History word - Could someone explain what socialism is in a more easier way? ...
- Social Studies - Definitions for Government: Communism, Nazism, Democracy, ...
- US History - what is the difference between 1) municipal reformers (are ...
- economics - im learning about economics and the meaning of 3 economic systems ...
- government - For what reasons have many developing African nations rejected ...
- History - In addition to the factors in the box, industrialization requires ___...
- History - Progressives wished to put an end to industrial capitalism, and move ...