Posted by Sondra on Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 6:46pm.
Assignment Type: Individual Project Deliverable Length: 500-800 words (not including references)
Points Possible: 125 Due Date: 8/16/2009 11:59:59 PM CT
Choose three (3) works of art from three artists from the Baroque period through the Postmodern era. Your three (3) works of art should come from the time periods or art movements covered in the reading from Unit 4 and Unit 5. Your choices must comply with the following criteria:
* The 3 artworks chosen must be of the same style or time period. For example, you can choose one of the following suggestions:
o 3 Baroque works of art, or
o 3 Impressionist works of art, or
o 3 Abstract Expressionist works of art, etc..
Do not mix up time periods or styles.
* The works of art must have a similar theme. For example: 3 landscapes, or 3 works that focus on religious content, etc.
* Out of the three works of art by the three (3) artists selected, you must choose at least two (2) works from two artists discussed in the textbook.
If you decide to choose one work of art that in not from the textbook, the artists must be discussed in the text. Begin your search by reviewing artists in the text. Then you can search other internet sources for their other works of art.
Please note: Your three (3) works of art must be from the same time period, same style, and have a similar theme
This project is broken down into two parts. In unit four, you will work on the first two bullet points, which are highlighted in bold below, as well as an introduction and conclusion. The "final draft", will be completed for Unit five, and will cover all four bullet points (listed in the U5IP assignment).
Your final paper will be a 1200-1500 word critical essay about the three works of art you have chosen. The goals of a critical essay are to evaluate and analyze the art works based on research, using the vocabulary and concepts you have learned. Your attitude should be detached (i.e. your personal opinions are not as important as academic concepts; The "critical" aspect of the essay refers to this detached attitude, not whether you react positively or negatively to the works). Your essay must include the following points:
* A description of the works including the style. Describe basic facts, as well as the visual appearance of the work (what does the viewer see? Where are key figures located? What tells us that the work is of a particular style?)
* A summary of the artists' personal philosophies of art (if they can be found in published sources), and the prevailing trends and schools of thought in the art world at the time and in the place the artist was working. For instance, discuss what was taking place in the artist's city, country, and/or church that may have provoked a reaction from the artist or the greater society. Include any information that might help the reader understand the artist's point of view or why the artist made his or her choices in this work of art.
* You will need to use the Library to learn about the artists. In the Library:
o Click Find Articles and Books
o Search for artist's name, time period or art movement, and/or title of the work of art.
o Click Find Web Resources
o Click General Studies.
o Click Art.
* An explanation of how the works fit into the context of the time period.
* Compare the three works in terms of form, content, and subject matter. Using the terminology and concepts that you have learned in the course, explain the similarities and differences in the styles of the works and the context in which they were made. Compare and contrast their aesthetic qualities and symbolic significance, as well as the artistsí points of view. Your personal point of view that you have developed throughout the paper will be summarized here. As with the preceding three sections, you will write in your own words, supported by research.
Note: You are required to comply with APA style formatting, including using quotation marks correctly, internal (in-text) citation, and a correct reference list. For additional information and resources on APA, visit the APA section of the Library, available under "Library Features."
Submit the following with your rough draft:
A cover page, a fully developed rough draft that addresses the first two bullet points, including an introductory paragraph (with a thesis statement), body, conclusion, a list of references, and images of the 3 works of art you chose.
IMPORTANT: At least two (2) works of art that you choose must be from your text book, and you must choose works by three (3) different artists.
For information on Macintosh Word shortcuts, click here.
Please submit your assignment.
- art - Angela, Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 6:48pm
There isn't even a question posted!
- art - SraJMcGin, Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 7:07pm
If you were trying to "cut and paste" it does not work here. You will need to type everything out.
- art - Anonymous, Friday, August 14, 2009 at 8:12am
this should be the question:
150-500 words(not including references)
social, political, or economic conditions can alter the condition and meaning of art.
be certain to support your position with examples that compare and contrast at least two of the following eras: Baroque, Rococo, Neoclacism, and Romanticism. Example can be drawn from architecture painting, printmaking, or sculpture.
Answer this Question
- visual - Choose three (3) works of art from three artists from the Baroque ...
- Art - Assignment Type: Individual Project Deliverable Length: 500-800 words (not...
- art - Choose three (3) works of art from three artists from the Baroque period ...
- art 101 - I need some help looking up three works of da Vinci with three of ...
- art appreciation - Choose 3 works of art from 3 artists from the Baroque period...
- AIU - 500 words (not including references) Details: Visit the following websites...
- art - select two works of art from any ancient culture. Using the terminology ...
- art - 1. during which time period were artists keenly interested in using the ...
- art - The Metropolitan Museum of Art The Louvre Museum The Smithsonian ...
- Art 101 - Briefly describe the works of art and the artists to discuss, Where is...