Posted by very basic algebra on Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 2:44pm.
I was told long ago way back when
that when you have something like this
-x = 7
you solve for x by doing the following
(-x = 7)-
x = -7
but now that I think about it
your not actually multiplying by negative one what is actually happening is this right???
(- x = 7)-^-1
to get the negative ones to cancel out to give you this
x = -^-1 7
or simplified as x = - 7
so my question is does the negative in the denomenator matter??? can you always just move it up or take the opposite of the whole thing even with somehting like this
- x = (7x + 5x^2 - 3)^-1 (6x + 7x^2 -2)
do you sovle this the same way
(- x = (7x + 5x^2 - 3)^-1 (6x + 7x^2 -2))-^-1
x = (-(7x + 5x^2 - 3))^-1 (6x + 7x^2 -2)
is that correct???
- very basic algebra - very basic algebra, Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 2:56pm
my teachers use to tell me that you could just multiply by negative one because it dosen't change its value but that is not true as it changes its direction
- very basic algebra - bobpursley, Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 3:32pm
Your teachers are right. I do not comprehend your thinking. You are obfuscating a very simple operation, multiplying each side by -1
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I have a question about quoting. If I have a sentence like: Something ...
- Compliments - Hey, Im trying to find lots of compliments. For example, if ...
- basic math - say i have something like (2/3)-(1/3) ---------------- 3 do i ...
- English and Grammar - I choose to do research on Avoidant personality disorder ...
- English/Poetry - Hi! So, I'm learning about Iambic Pentameter in class and i'm ...
- physics - hi im trying to do a problem that involves multiple battereis, one ...
- Physics - so I'm doing the back of this worksheet and on the bottom there's a ...
- Calculus - I'm doing graphs/domain/range of basic functions. I have three ...
- English - Can you please check if the following sentences are possible? Thank ...
- physics please! - hi im trying to do a problem that involves multiple battereis...