Posted by Audrey on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 8:47pm.
Which would be the inverse of this:
f^ (-1) x = (5x - 3)/ (2x + 1)
f^ (-1) x = (5x + 3)/ (2x - 1)
- Algebra - MathMate, Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 9:29pm
Could you check if there wasn't a typo, namely,
"Let f(x)=(x+3)/(2x-5)... "
If that's the case, it's the second response.
To double check,
- Algebra - Audrey, Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 9:47pm
Let y = f(x)
y = (x + 3)/ (2x - 5)
Switch x and y.
x = (y + 3)/ (2y - 5)
Multiply both sides by (2y - 5).
2xy - 5x = y + 3
Subtract 3 from both sides.
2xy - 5x - 3 = y
Subtract 2xy from both sides.
-5x - 3 = -2xy + y
Factor the right side.
-5x - 3 = y (-2x + 1)
Divide both sides by (-2x + 1).
(-5x - 3)/ (-2x + 1) = y
(5x - 3)/ (2x + 1) = y
Now we replace y with the inverse function notation: f^ (-1) x.
f^ (-1) x = (5x + 3) / (2x - 1)
This my work to reflect the answer. Is it correct? Thanks!
- Algebra - MathMate, Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 9:57pm
Yes, the calculation is correct.
Note: You may not have noticed that you omitted the division sign in the initial post.
- Algebra - Audrey, Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 10:08pm
Thanks for pointing that out!
- Algebra - MathMate, Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 10:19pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - what is the inverse of the linear parent function? How would you graph...
- Advanced Algebra - What is the inverse of each of the functions defined by the ...
- Algebra II - The inverse of f(x) is h(x). The composition of f and h is written ...
- Algebra - Given the functions f(x)=x+5/3 and g(x)=1/f^-1(x)+1, find the value ...
- Algebra - How do you find the inverse of functions? for example how would you ...
- Algebra - If f(x)=x^5-1/3, find f^-1(-31/96). I think the first step would be ...
- Algebra - Let p(x)=2x^3-113 and let q be the inverse of p. Find q(137). Please ...
- Math - Find the multiplicative inverse of the number. 1/2 (fraction) The inverse...
- algebra - 1 (a) A function passes through the points (0, -5), (1, 0), (2, 7). ...
- algebra 2 - Please help! y=2x I need to find the inverse, and I am wonderingif ...