Posted by John on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 1:23am.
1.What features make The Awakening a "local color" story?
2.What customs and beliefs of Edna Pontellier's society are significant in relation to her psychological development?
3.What attitudes and tendencies in the Creole characters does Edna have trouble adjusting to?
4.Why did Edna marry Leonce? Is he the model husband?
5.What incidents in the novel reveal that he may not be a good husband for Edna?
6.How do Mlle. Reisz and Mme. Ratignolle function in relation to Edna and the novel's view of women as mothers and artists?
7.What kind of mother is Edna? What kind of artist is she?
8.How are the background characters such as the young lovers and the lady in black at the shore, significant in Edna's story?
9.In detail, explain how the flashbacks to Edna's past function. How does her father compare to the other men in her life?
10.How does the view of romantic love develop in the course of the novel? What is the doctor's view of marriage and childbearing?
11.Can you think of an emotional attachment and/or a romantic obsession you have studied in a previous work? How does that incident or character compare with Edna's emotional and romantic relationships?
12.What are the main images and symbols in the novel?
13.Why does Edna get involved with Alcee Arobin?
14.Why do you suppose critics were outraged at this novel in 1899, saying it committed "unutterable crimes against polite society" and should be labeled "poison" to protect "moral babes"?
15.What is your reaction to the end of the novel? Do you agree or disagree with the reasons for Edna's final action?
- 11th grade - SraJMcGin, Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 2:12am
What have you done on this? We HELP but do not DO the work for you. Try here:
- 11th grade - Writeacher, Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 8:16am
Sra is correct -- once you post what YOU THINK the correct responses are to these questions, someone here can help you.
Please note that many of these questions require YOU to draw conclusions of YOUR OWN after having read the book. Have you read it? If you haven't, you'd best get busy. If you have, these should be no problem to answer.
- 11th grade - kiki, Sunday, December 6, 2009 at 12:00pm
How does the view of romantic love develop in the course of the novel? What is the doctor's view of marriage and childbearing?
- 11th grade - Anonymous, Saturday, September 28, 2013 at 5:03pm
1. The fact that the story takes place in a small town.
2. Where women fit in to things.
5. Edna falls in love with Robert.
7. .Edna is a great artist that stoped for a whail but is getting back in to it.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- english 4 - 1. What features make The Awakening a "local color" story?
- English urgent please:) - I wrote the thesis but wat do i make the conclusion ...
- psychology - 1) What were some of the irrational beliefs and attitudes that the ...
- English - Here is the second part of my summary I really need you to revise. ...
- 11th grade psychology - does anyone have a current event that i can some how ...
- English - Thank you very much indeed for your last corrections!! I still need ...
- World History- (Ms. Sue) - What is the significance of the Second Great ...
- the awakening- please help!! - I can't figure out this problem... Which ...
- the awakening by chopin - In the novel what is the purpose of edna and robert?
- Juniors Enligsh 3 Honors - My online honors class had us read The Awakening by ...