Posted by Lena on Monday, July 27, 2009 at 2:17am.
A backyard pool as a pH of 7.4. At this level, the concentrations of hypochlorus acid and hypochlorite are approximetly equal.
HClO(aq) <--> H^+ (aq) + ClO^- (aq)
(a) Predict the effect of increasing pH has on the concentration of HClO(aq) in the pool.
For this question, in order to decrease the pH, wouldnt you have too add more HClO to the pool or remove some of the ions?
(b) What would happen to the HClO(aq) if the pH was increased?
Again, dosent the pH change depend on the concentration of HClO in the pool? So if you add more then the concentration increases?
(c) Shock treatment is when a large amount of chlorine containing compounds are added to the pool. What effect would this have on the pH?
Basically, we`re adding a new reactant. Would this create hydrochloric acid? Hydrochloric acid is very acidic so would the pH drastically decrease?
pH calculations - bobpursley, Monday, July 27, 2009 at 5:59am
a) assume increasing pH means someone is adding more H+ from another source.
b) HClO would increase
c) Assume you are adding chlorine compounds to water.
ClXXX- + HOH>>> H+ + ClxxxxO-
You have in creased the pH.
pH calculations - Damon, Monday, July 27, 2009 at 7:01am
more acid = lower Ph number
pH calculations - Lena, Monday, July 27, 2009 at 7:20am
Thank you :D
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - For the weak hypochlorous acid (HClO), which statement is true at ...
- chemistry - Given the table of Ka values on the right below, arrange the ...
- Chemistry - You have 1.0 liter of .45 M HCLO (aq). At 25 degrees Celsius, Ka= 3....
- chemistry - The Ka of hypochlorous acid (HClO) is 3.0 × 10-8 at 25°C. Calculate ...
- chemistry - Hi there, ok, my question stated "Use information from acid/base ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the pH for each of the following cases in the titration of...
- Chemistry - the ka of hypochlorous acid hclo is 3.5 x 10^-8. What is Kb for the ...
- Math - The Walters' backyard pool is rectangular in shape and is similar to the ...
- CHEM - How can I calculate a pH of hypochlorite buffer into LiCLO with only ...
- Math - A family put a swimming pool in their backyard the rectangular backyard ...