Posted by Crystal on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 9:42am.
.04x + 720 - .06x > = 650
-.02x <= -70
x < = -70/-.02
x < = 3500
Or do the sign go the other way like this?
.04x + 720 - .06x > = 650
-.02x > = -70
x > = -70/-.02
x > = 3500
Which would be the solution to solve this inequality?
.04 x + .06(12000-x) >= 650
- Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 9:50am
see my final reply to
- Algebra - Crystal, Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 10:14am
Why is is greater than or = to? I got the answer as being < or = 3500? Can you please explain? Thanks!
- Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 10:24am
Yes, I had agreed that you were right,
and changed it to ≤
here is the corrected version
.04x + 720 - .06x ≥ 650
-.02x ≥ -70
x ≥ -70/-.02
x ≤ 3500
- Algebra - Crystal, Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 11:00am
So basically the > = stay the same for the first 2 lines and change to < = for the last? How does that work?
- Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 11:43am
Ok, I will illustrate with an example
8 > 5 -----> True
if we add any number or subtract any number the statement is still true
8+6 > 5+6 ---> True
let's multiply by a positive number
8(4) > 5(4) -----> still True !
how about dividing by a positive
8/2 > 5/2 ??? Yes, still True
how about multiplying by a negative
8(-3) > 5(-3) or
-24 > -15 BUT THAT IS FALSE !!!
how do we make it true? We reverse the sign
-24 < -15 , now it's Truee
same thing for division by a negative.
So, in summary,
you can add/subtract any value just like for equations and the inequality sign stays the same.
Same is true for multiplying/dividing by a positive number.
BUT, when you multiply or divide by a negative number in an inequality, you have to reverse the inequality sign at that step. Usually this will be your last step.
- Algebra - Crystal, Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 12:06pm
Thank you! This is a great review of this topic! Thanks again!
Answer this Question
- Algebra - Please solve the inequality .04 x + .06(12000-x) >= 650 .04x + 720...
- math - I need help in solving this subtraction (0.06x^3-0.07x^2+0.04x)-(0.02x^3+...
- ALGEBRA - for subtracting this problem: (0.04x^3-0.03x^2+0.02x)-(0.03x^3+0.08x^2...
- bobpursly, check please,math - do you mean like this: 720/(V-30) + 720/(V+30) = ...
- Math - how do you do a problem like this? 720m/day=?m/mm your units don't match ...
- Math - Is there another way to write this equation? y=35.15e^1.04x
- Algebra - R(x)= 360x - 0.04x^2
- algebra - solve the following: 300e^.06x = 1500
- help,math - can some set the equation up for me. Science and medicine. A plane ...
- Algebra - How to solve y = -0.04x^2 + 1.3x + 56 using the quadratic formula?