Posted by Me on Monday, July 13, 2009 at 6:04pm.
well my question is in regards to man for all seasons a play by robert bolt. we are asked to identify a living person that resembles the "common man" character. the common man resembles the masses, he has a passive attitude of the world, and refuses to internally reflect. the common man doesn't want to stand up and act, rather watches as the situation unfolds. the book in turn says that the common mans enability to speak up causes the conflict, tragedy, etc.
can anyone think of a specific person (ie. Tom Jones) that is ALIVE???
- English- Man for all Seasons - Ms. Sue, Monday, July 13, 2009 at 6:17pm
As I tried inadequately to explain before, the "common man" is not a famous person. Famous people have done something to stand out -- and can't be considered "common." Since your prompt says that the person must be alive, you can't choose a character from literature.
Many of us are "common men." We don't speak up, but watch as a situation unfolds.
Think about the people you know who meet these criteria for a "common man."
* resembles the masses
* has a passive attitude of the world
* refuses to internally reflect
* doesn't want to stand up and act
* watches as the situation unfolds
Don't many of the people you know fit these criteria? Choose one.
- English- Man for all Seasons - GuruBlue, Monday, July 13, 2009 at 7:21pm
Great response, Sue.
By the way, I don't think you will find very many of these types, among teachers.
- English- Man for all Seasons - Ms. Sue, Monday, July 13, 2009 at 7:25pm
I'm sure you're right, Guru! :-)
Actually I was thinking mainly of my ex-son-in-law, a salesman. <g>
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I desperately need examples and quotes of land imagery from the play ...
- Man for All seasons - Heyy!! Do u know anyone living who has said quotes ...
- Man for All Seasons - Hi!!! Does anyone know a modern example of the common man...
- English - Okay my English teacher set up this assignment to relate a person (...
- English - In Achebe's "Chike's School Days" what was the diviner called? A. "The...
- Intergated chemistry/physics - A 200 man is running 3 miles per hour and ...
- Math - I can't figure this out! Help please! The Problem At the local park, I ...
- english help please!! - When Marilyn Cross is trapped, what kind of conflict ...
- english help please!! - A character has a personal fear or an emotional struggle...
- English - 1. The man left a strong impression on me. 2. The man left a strong ...