Posted by christina on Monday, July 13, 2009 at 5:40pm.
Admission to a museum is $10 for each adult and $5 for each child. If a group oh 30 people pays a total of $175 in admission how many adults are in the group?
- MATH - Marth, Monday, July 13, 2009 at 5:55pm
let x = number of adults
let y = number of children
There are 30 people in the group, so x+y = 30
The total cost is $175, so 10x + 5y = 175
10x + 5y = 175
Divide by 5:
2x + y = 35
Now subtract the two equations:
2x + y = 35
x + y = 30
x = 5
Substitute x into one of the equations to find y.
5 + y = 30
y = 25
Now plug both values into the other equation to check your work.
2(5) + 25 = 35
10 + 25 = 35
35 = 35
Your answers are correct.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Admission to a museum cost $12 for adults and $7 for children. A group of...
- math - a group of people pays $720 for admission tickets to an amusement park ...
- math - At the city museum, child admission is $5.40 and adult admission is $8.70...
- math - At the city museum, child admission $5.30 is and adult admission is $9....
- Math - At a museum child admission was $5.50 and adult admission is $9 on Monday...
- math - An amusement park charges an admission fee of dollars per person. The ...
- math - a group of people pay $720 admission at an amusement park. Thad adult ...
- Math - The regular admission price for an amusement park is. $72. For a group of...
- math - At the movie theatre, child admission is $5.30 and adult admission is $8....
- Math - The regular admission price for an amusement park is $72. For a group of ...