Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 8:59pm.
I had to write two poems and I need someone to look over it for me with the direction I had to use to make sure that I did my assignment right please. Here is the direction: Write two (2) poems, each of which is from 10 to 30 lines. Idioms, clichés, and dead metaphors are to be avoided. Density must be considered and evident in the final draft. Point of view is consistent, whether first or third person. Second person (you) must be avoided. Choose from the following possibilities, using a different choice for each of your two poems. Please include the name of your choice with each poem:
* A poem that uses free verse with concrete images that employ at least 3 of 5 senses (sight, sound, taste, touch, and/or smell). Balance concrete images throughout the poem, without concentrating them in one place.
* A poem focused on use of sound devices, such as rhyme, assonance, and/or alliteration, along with concrete images that employ at least 3 of 5 senses (sight, sound, taste, touch, and/or smell). Sound must be used clearly to add to the effects of the poem. Balance concrete images throughout the poem, without concentrating them in one place.
A poem that extends a metaphor as a conceit throughout the poem. This poem will also use concrete images that employ at least 3 of 5 senses (sight, sound, taste, touch, and/or smell), balanced throughout the poem, without concentrating them in one place.
* A poem that uses doubleness, such as puns, paradoxes, and/or oxymorons. This poem will also use concrete images that employ at least 3 of 5 senses (sight, sound, taste, touch, and/or smell), balanced throughout the poem, without concentrating them in one place.
Here is my two poems please:
The sand covers her like a blanket, she smoothes out the wrinkles
The breeze taps her shoulder with the salutation of an old friend
The sun’s warmth radiates her soul once again
She is home
And the ocean waves shimmer their cerulean hue
As the golden light touches the surface, an oceanic symphony drums her ears
The water is singing her name
With outstretched legs, she leans back on her arms and closes her eyes
Once again, she can unwind
This is her comfort
This is her peace
Welcome home, my dear.
About Your “Love”
Why do you say you love me?
Do not “count the ways.”
Love is a knave, a jester that taunts me, and a trick for which I’d prefer not to fall to.
Love is not a rose, nor a violet.
Try not to blame love and say it is blind. Love never had eyes.
You don’t know love.
It doesn’t know you.
You are starved for fruitful passion. And I am a drought and a barren field.
I will not give in because your red roses salivate sweet scents.
I will not let you “swear by the moon” when tomorrow you could be gone.
Your eyes convince and your smile alludes to adoration.
But do not make a promise that will float alone in the sky, only to join the sun that you say I am.
I am towering over you on this pedestal.
I’d much rather be on the ground.
Please, oh please, can I come down?
- English - Ms. Sue, Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 9:09pm
Please don't continue posting the same question. When one of our experienced and knowledgable volunteer literature teachers comes on, I'm sure she will answer it.
- English - GuruBlue, Monday, July 13, 2009 at 9:09am
Ocean is perfect for alliteration. Very nice use of concrete images combined with the 's'sound.
About your love.... has nice use of metaphor and irony ... and borrowing from Shakespeare to make your point... good job.
Leave the "to" off the 4th line... it will work better.
I love what you are saying here...
Answer this Question
English - I had to write two poems and I need someone to look over it for me ...
English - I had to write two poem and i need someone to look over it for me with...
Poetry - I’m not really good at reading poems and I need help on these two poems...
english - Write several sentences describing a recent interaction with a friend ...
sociology - I am writing an essay on the socialogical perspectives on the issue ...
english - I having problems these sentences on sentence fragments and run-on ...
grammer - To make this a pronoun case the orginal sentence is Pedro Martinez ...
Chemistry - I had to share a diagnostic procedure that I had done. I shared a ...
Science/ Social Studies - I need help with those two subjects. Please tell us ...
English (Ms.Sue) - I am planning for a 1 hour mock exam (tomorrow) about two ...